Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hidden Partition

Hidden Partition

bardeban

I have a XP SP3 computer.
I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
partition.
When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and Floppy,
there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.
I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
add the space to C?

Dan C

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 11:31:21 -0400, bardeban wrote:

> I have a XP SP3 computer.
> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did. When I check drive C which
> is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU partition.
> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and
> Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU partition. I want to delete
> UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive. What can I do to see
> UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and add the space to
> C?

Just format the C: drive, and that will remove the UBUNTU partition.
It's easy!

Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Whiskers

On 2009-03-29, bardeban <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a XP SP3 computer.
> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
> partition.
> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and Floppy,
> there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.

That's because Microsoft operating systems can't recognise the presence
of file systems that weren't invented by Microsoft - so they act as though
they don't exist.

> I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
> What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it and
> add the space to C?

Using the installation disc from which you got Ubuntu would probably be the
easiest. Remember the part of the installation routine where you re-sized
the original all-of-the-disc Windows partition to make room for the Linux
partitions? That works to do the opposite too - and I wouldn't be
surprised if there's a tool there to 'restore original MBR' too. Linux
forces itself on no-one.

If you prefer to do it the Microsoft way, try following the instructions
provided by ... who was it? .... Oh yes - Microsoft!
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314458>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mike Easter

bardeban wrote:
> I have a XP SP3 computer.
> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.

That's not much of a description of how you went about handling the
partition managment and Ub install, so you might not get much advice about
how to handle your boot sector.

> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
> partition.

The subject of this message is 'hidden' partition, which hidden word isn't
mentioned down here in the message body.

> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and DVDROM and
> Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU partition.
> I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.
> What can I do to see UBUNTU partition and is it possible to delete it
> and add the space to C?

You could boot with the Ub live CD and use its GPartEd for partition
management legally. You could download TinyXP and use some of the many
partition and boot sector warez 'illegally'. If you get into a big mess,
you may need some of the tools available on TinyXP.

I recommend that you have everything all backed up, because you might have
some trouble and lose your XP. Part of the Ub's grub boot loader is
occupying your boot sector and part of it is occupying the Ub partition's
files.

I suspect you are going to get some 'experiential' education in boot
sector and partition management and windows mbr repair before this is all
over.

--
Mike Easter

thanatoid

"bardeban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gqo496$l44$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a XP SP3 computer.
> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see
> the UBUNTU partition.
> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and
> DVDROM and Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU
> partition. I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the
> space to my C drive. What can I do to see UBUNTU partition
> and is it possible to delete it and add the space to C?

You have to get a partition management program like Partition
Magic. Windows can't see Linux etc.
This is a multi-OS problem which only a tool /like - there are
many/ PM can solve.
I /strongly/ suggest you back up everything that matters FIRST.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

olfart

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "bardeban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gqo496$l44$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a XP SP3 computer.
>> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
>> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see
>> the UBUNTU partition.
>> When I check My Computer, there is only C: and DVDRW and
>> DVDROM and Floppy, there is no indication of UBUNTU
>> partition. I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the
>> space to my C drive. What can I do to see UBUNTU partition
>> and is it possible to delete it and add the space to C?

> You have to get a partition management program like Partition
> Magic. Windows can't see Linux etc.
> This is a multi-OS problem which only a tool /like - there are
> many/ PM can solve.
> I /strongly/ suggest you back up everything that matters FIRST.
>

> --

If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn thing
probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and Linsucks in
dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and finally just
wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000.
I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

wisdomkiller & pain

bardeban wrote:

> I have a XP SP3 computer.
> I decided to dual boot with UBUNTU, So I did.
> When I check drive C which is the XP partition, I don't see the UBUNTU
> partition.

Because "drive C" is a partition, not a whole harddrive.
You need to go to management - disk management.
To get rid of grub, use your xp cd and the "recovery console" to do
a "fixmbr" which will boot the windows bootloader in place again.

> I want to delete UBUNTU partition and add the space to my C drive.

You can use disk management in XP to delete all ubuntu remainders and create
one partition adjacing to your c: which will then have driveletter d: or
another - but with XP onboard tools it is not possible to add that space to
c:
In fact, using a 2nd partition may be a good idea: you can right-click
on "my files and settings" folder and choose to move it over to the 2nd
partition. Windows and office programs will recognize that change and
behave accordingly. And, you won't lose your documents even after following
Dan C's advice or after your windows got b0rken (once more) and you had
to reinstall.
If, however, you insist in adding that space to C:, fire the ubuntu install
dvd/cd in livecd mode and use gparted there.

wisdomkiller & pain

olfart wrote:

> If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn thing
> probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and Linsucks in

Whatever. He will still have the ubuntu listed together with windows, but
obviously ubunto won't boot ... yet windows still will do.

> dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and finally just

Google does not trade mbr fixes. You probably got some crapware. Instead,
just running recovery console from your bootable genuine windows cd and
typing "fixmbr" there should do. Yes, even windows2000 has a recovery
console. But you could use any XP cd for that purpose as well. Even a
windows98 will do.

> wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000.
> I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

And why I do like the simple rather straightforward win2k and that it has no
wpa/wga stuff, I also know it is definitely EOL.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

olfart wrote:

> I will never put any Linux crap on my machines again

Hey, have fun with all your viruses and worms, and the CPU cycles to run
all those anti-malware applications... <g>

--
-bts

Dan C

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:55:39 -0400, olfart wrote:

> If he deletes the Linux partition he has to fix his MBR or the damn
> thing probably won't boot. I just went through this with W2000 and
> Linsucks in dual boot. Tried several different MBR fixes from Google and
> finally just wiped the drive and did a clean install of W2000. I will
> never put any Linux crap on my machines again

Heh. Dumbass.