Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > How's the e51 for VOIP calls ?

How's the e51 for VOIP calls ?

hammond

Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
firewall.

Does IAX get round this problem ?

Steve Hammond

On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hammond wrote:
> > Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
> > firewall.

> Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.
>
> > Does IAX get round this problem ?

> Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Hammond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 29 Mar, 11:13, Andy Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> hammond wrote:
>> > Isn't SIP a bit pant in that it's v. difficult to configure with a
>> > firewall.

>> Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.
>>
>> > Does IAX get round this problem ?

>> Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

>hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
who else in the UK...

SIP is managable though - what gets in the way is firewalls/NAT routers
which are too clever for their own good.. It is well defined, so can
usually be "gotten round", depending on your application and the way
the ITSP manages it. (Relying on STUN servers or an intelligent proxy -
providing the end users router is not going to get in the way)

And with IAX, you are severley limited in what you can use - Zoiper in
the soft phone department, some ATL desk phones (I think), and maybe kiax,
also a soft-phone, but I've never been able to make it work successfully.
There's also the Digium ATA - the "Iaxy" which runs IAX...

And Asterisk, of-course.

Gordon

Soruk

On 2009-03-29, Gordon Henderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Steve Hammond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Correct, SIP with RTP is tricky through NAT.

>>> Yes, it's just a single UDP stream.

>>hmmm so who are the best IAX provider s?

> Might be intersting to list all the IAX providers... Other than myself,
> I know Gradwell do it, and I think Voiptalk/Telapliant.. Really not sure
> who else in the UK...

Tesco Internet Phone do both IAX (gateway.tescointernetphone.com) and
SIP (sip.tescointernetphone.com).

> And Asterisk, of-course.

You can quite happily use a SIP phone to an Asterisk box which talks
upstream using IAX. And vice versa.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

vinney vinney is offline
Junior Member