Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Final days, what to do..

Reply
Thread Tools

XP Final days, what to do..

 
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
trueone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2009
get ubuntu linux just for you.


"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=215900315


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2009
In message <gqok4g$n5v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Your Name wrote:

> XP will be around for years more yet, whether Microsloth like it or not...


All it would take is one little glitch with the WGA servers to bring them
all to their knees.

> ... XP is still being pre-installed on many brand new "netbook" computers
> because Vista is such a pig.


What kind of support are they going to get?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2009
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:03:08 +1200
"Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gqo931$gkr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > >

> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...howArticle.jht
> ml?articleID=215900315
> >
> > get ubuntu linux just for you.

>
> Nah! Too fiddly. Buy a Mac and "it just works".
>
> XP will be around for years more yet, whether Microsloth like it or
> not ... XP is still being pre-installed on many brand new "netbook"
> computers because Vista is such a pig.
>

Hi
Yup, this netbook came with XP Home which now resides on a small
partition I need to look at trying windows 7 on it at some stage I
guess.

One wonders though, how does one get on purchasing a computer with I
guess technically has an obsolete operating system?

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.19-3.2-pae
up 16:12, 2 users, load average: 0.37, 0.37, 0.35
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2009

"trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gqo931$gkr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...howArticle.jht
ml?articleID=215900315
>
> get ubuntu linux just for you.


Nah! Too fiddly. Buy a Mac and "it just works".

XP will be around for years more yet, whether Microsloth like it or not ...
XP is still being pre-installed on many brand new "netbook" computers
because Vista is such a pig.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2009
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:
> "trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gqo931$gkr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>

> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...howArticle.jht
> ml?articleID=215900315
>>
>> get ubuntu linux just for you.

>
> Nah! Too fiddly. Buy a Mac and "it just works".
>
> XP will be around for years more yet, whether Microsloth like it or
> not ... XP is still being pre-installed on many brand new "netbook"
> computers because Vista is such a pig.


.... and will be for many months. Microsoft have just extended the deadline
for XP (Home) for netbooks *again*. They are seriously worried they'll lose
the 'light and fast' (at least compared with Vista, and 7 is based on Vista
even though it's supposed to be 'optimised') market to Linux.
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Woger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2009
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:35:22 +1300, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:gqok4g$n5v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gqo931$gkr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> >
>>> >

>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...howArticle.jht
>> ml?articleID=215900315
>>>
>>> get ubuntu linux just for you.

>>
>> Nah! Too fiddly. Buy a Mac and "it just works".
>>

>
>Yeah, I was just trying to get a bite out of woger




Na I have taken out my Teeth.

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2009
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Woger wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:35:22 +1300, "Trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Your Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gqok4g$n5v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "trueone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gqo931$gkr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> "Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...howArticle.jht
>>> ml?articleID=215900315
>>>>
>>>> get ubuntu linux just for you.
>>>
>>> Nah! Too fiddly. Buy a Mac and "it just works".
>>>

>>
>> Yeah, I was just trying to get a bite out of woger

>
>
>
> Na I have taken out my Teeth.


Oh well, back to the killfile. You just had the longest run yet without me
killfiling you. You getting nice in your old age?

<plonk>
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Word open as Final, not Final Showing Markup Karl Engel Computer Support 4 12-19-2006 04:20 AM
Non-final class at compile-time, final at runtime pietdejong@gmail.com Java 5 11-17-2006 12:30 PM
Difference between static final members and final static members(if any)? JFCM Java 4 02-07-2006 11:32 AM
Extensions and Final Version of Firefox totsob Firefox 1 11-12-2004 01:27 PM
Final release Firefox 1.0 John Firefox 6 11-09-2004 08:46 PM



Advertisments