Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seagate SeaTools for Windows. utter Rubish

Seagate SeaTools for Windows. utter Rubish

Woger

Testing a FreeAgent drive and the drive was playing up started to click,
Windows SeaTools Test shows that Drive as 100% but not even showing on the
Desktop, and I tested the drive over and over again still 100%..

BUT after quitting SeaTools and running it again it, then could not find the
drive..

So how can you trust SeaTools..?

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Woger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Testing a FreeAgent drive and the drive was playing up started to click,
> Windows SeaTools Test shows that Drive as 100% but not even showing on the
> Desktop, and I tested the drive over and over again still 100%..

> BUT after quitting SeaTools and running it again it, then could not find the
> drive..

> So how can you trust SeaTools..?

You cannot?

Arno

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:

> So how can you trust SeaTools..?

Weren't you the one recommending it before?

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Woger wrote:
>
>> So how can you trust SeaTools..?

> Weren't you the one recommending it before?

No, I believe he had just attached the crap mark to all other disk
diagnostic products leaving it as the only non crap one.

Considering that a drive need not be partitioned or have a drive letter
assigned to it to be able to be tested in seatools I fail to see the not
displaying in my computer as being anything to be concerned about.

Its the only one that when you get a faulty answer from its basically no
problem to return the drive, so it still gets a lot of use from me.

Even when I have drives which kept having errors kicking them out of a
raid-5 set they tested fine with seatools so basically it is worthless
unless you keep testing till you get errors, and some of the long tests
take ages.

Juarez

"Woger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> So how can you trust SeaTools..?

You can't. I had a similar thing happen with Samsung diagnostics, it never
found a bad sector on one of my HDDs that HDTune found using the long scan.
Quickscan would pass but not the long scan and the HDD was definitely the
culprit for my BSOD at the time.

impossible

"Ato_Zee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CmLzl.237660$(E-Mail Removed)2...

> On 29-Mar-2009, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > So how can you trust SeaTools..?

>> You cannot?

> Found the same thing, SeaTools is rubbish.
> Profitable rubbish if it doesn't find faults with
> drives that should be RMA'd.

If a Seagate drive fails under waranty, Seagate will replace it. End of
story.

Justin Goldberg

"Ato_Zee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CmLzl.237660$Bt3.58818
@newsfe03.ams2:

> On 29-Mar-2009, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > So how can you trust SeaTools..?

>> You cannot?

> Found the same thing, SeaTools is rubbish.
> Profitable rubbish if it doesn't find faults with
> drives that should be RMA'd.

It works with any drive, too, so it would seem that it has no special
knowledge of Seagate drives that other drive utilities don't have, imho.
If I'm incorrect please let me know.

impossible

"Justin Goldberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9BDD83A49AAF4j1u2s3t4i5n6forXnews@69.16.18 5.247...
> "Ato_Zee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CmLzl.237660$Bt3.58818
> @newsfe03.ams2:

>>> You cannot?

>> Found the same thing, SeaTools is rubbish.
>> Profitable rubbish if it doesn't find faults with
>> drives that should be RMA'd.

> It works with any drive, too, so it would seem that it has no special
> knowledge of Seagate drives that other drive utilities don't have, imho.
> If I'm incorrect please let me know.

SeaTools reads SMART data, which can only be interpreted accurately for a
given drive by the drive's manufacturer. The same would apply for any
manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Third-party tools that pretend to know
better are complete and utter frauds.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gqnl3t$da9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Considering that a drive need not be partitioned or have a drive letter
> assigned to it to be able to be tested in seatools I fail to see the not
> displaying in my computer as being anything to be concerned about.

You mean, you can't see or use a drive if it hasn't been partitioned?

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:36:02 GMT, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>SeaTools reads SMART data, which can only be interpreted accurately for a
>given drive by the drive's manufacturer. The same would apply for any
>manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Third-party tools that pretend to know
>better are complete and utter frauds.

A drive manufacturer's diagnostic will pass a drive that has, say, 500
reallocated sectors, but a tool such as HD Sentinel may fail it. In
this particular case I'd fail it, too. I certainly wouldn't trust such
a drive with my data. However, I agree that the raw SMART data don't
always make much sense, unless you know how the manufacturer has
encoded them.

- Franc Zabkar