Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Seagate SeaTools for Windows. utter Rubish

Seagate SeaTools for Windows. utter Rubish

Rod Speed

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Rod Speed"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> DevilsPGD wrote
>>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Once that particular issue is known, sure. Drives can and do fail
>>> without any warning though, and backups aren't a particular great
>>> solution.

>> Neither is raid, particularly for user stupidity, infection,
>> sofware ****ups, fire, flood, theft etc etc etc.
>>

> Correct. We aren't talking about those issues, we're talking about
> drive failure.

We're actually talking about raid now.

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2009 18:29:25 GMT, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:

>>There is one more thing: The Google study has some good data,
>>but also has methodical flaws and flaws in the interpretation.
>>Personally I am surprised at the low quality of the analysis.

> It's a pity that Google don't make their HD database available for
> peer review. It would be a very valuable resource. Maybe the drive
> manufacturers could benefit from it.

Indeed.

Arno

EMB

Rod Speed wrote:
> Neither is raid, particularly for user stupidity, infection,
> sofware ****ups,

All of which would be particularly common for a luser like you Rod. Now
just ****off and leave us all in peace.

Justin Goldberg

>> Once that particular issue is known, sure. Drives can and do fail
>> without any warning though, and backups aren't a particular great
>> solution.

> Neither is raid, particularly for user stupidity, infection,
> sofware ****ups, fire, flood, theft etc etc etc.

That's what online backup like Mozy, Jungle Disk, etc... are for, backing up
those irreplaceable documents, not the entire system. Mozy, for example, will
backup your desktop, my documents, and custom folders or file extensions you
choose at whatever frequency you want, and can work when idle, so it won't tax
a system. It's basically a document backup system. There's windows and mac
versions available. A user can restore files via the web also, should their
entire system be hosed. Also Mozy is free for the first 2 GBs. What the hell,
I might as well make some affiliate money off this glowing endorsement:
https://mozy.com/?ref=XCY3EB

Here's the non affiliate link:
https://mozy.com/

Justin Goldberg

I should add that I get 250 MBs free for referrals, not money.

> hosed. Also Mozy is free for the first 2 GBs. What the hell, I might
> as well make some affiliate money off this glowing endorsement:
> https://mozy.com/?ref=XCY3EB
>
> Here's the non affiliate link:
> https://mozy.com/

Rod Speed

Justin Goldberg wrote

>>> Once that particular issue is known, sure. Drives can and do fail without
>>> any warning though, and backups aren't a particular great solution.

>> Neither is raid, particularly for user stupidity, infection,
>> sofware ****ups, fire, flood, theft etc etc etc.

> That's what online backup like Mozy, Jungle Disk, etc... are for,
> backing up those irreplaceable documents, not the entire system.

Trouble is that that isnt viable for some systems,
particularly when it involves lots of video files.

> Mozy, for example, will backup your desktop, my documents, and
> custom folders or file extensions you choose at whatever frequency
> you want, and can work when idle, so it won't tax a system. It's
> basically a document backup system. There's windows and mac
> versions available. A user can restore files via the web also, should
> their entire system be hosed. Also Mozy is free for the first 2 GBs. What the
> hell, I might as well make some affiliate money off this glowing endorsement:
> https://mozy.com/?ref=XCY3EB

> Here's the non affiliate link:
> https://mozy.com/

Rod Speed

Justin Goldberg wrote:

> I should add that I get 250 MBs free for referrals, not money.

Nothing like enough for me.

>> hosed. Also Mozy is free for the first 2 GBs. What the hell, I might
>> as well make some affiliate money off this glowing endorsement:
>> https://mozy.com/?ref=XCY3EB
>>
>> Here's the non affiliate link:
>> https://mozy.com/

Richard

Justin Goldberg wrote:

> That's what online backup like Mozy, Jungle Disk, etc... are for, backing up
> those irreplaceable documents, not the entire system. Mozy, for example, will
> backup your desktop, my documents, and custom folders or file extensions you
> choose at whatever frequency you want, and can work when idle, so it won't tax
> a system. It's basically a document backup system. There's windows and mac
> versions available. A user can restore files via the web also, should their
> entire system be hosed. Also Mozy is free for the first 2 GBs. What the hell,
> I might as well make some affiliate money off this glowing endorsement:
> https://mozy.com/?ref=XCY3EB
>
> Here's the non affiliate link:
> https://mozy.com/

I use windows live mesh for my backups, it syncs between computers as well.

Just a real shame that it has no versioning available via the web, since
I often want to go back to older versions of files, and manually backing
up whole folders pre-changes takes quite a bit of space.