Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Changing boot drive from I to C

Changing boot drive from I to C

Brian Griffin

After several days of trial and error removing a ICH5R RAID and going back
to two separate drives, I have got XP working on one of the drives that
originally formed the RAID, but unfortunately this drive is now labelled
"I". I
have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given them.
The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive C,
which is incidentally "active"?
Cheers,
Brian

Jeff Strickland

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qqtzl.62199$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> After several days of trial and error removing a ICH5R RAID and going back
> to two separate drives, I have got XP working on one of the drives that
> originally formed the RAID, but unfortunately this drive is now labelled
> "I". I
> have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
> labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
> drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
> effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given
> them.
> The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive
> C,
> which is incidentally "active"?
> Cheers,
> Brian

I ran into a similar issue -- multiple drives, and the boot drive was
renamed away from C -- and I had to remove all of the drives and boot from
only drive remaining. This forced it to be renamed C, then the other drives
plugged in afterwards picked up the subsequent letters. Plug in the USB
drives last, and any other hard drives after C gets named and before the USB
drives are installed.

Brian Griffin

Cheers Jeff, I'll give it a try.
Brian

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gqm24i$3dd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qqtzl.62199$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> After several days of trial and error removing a ICH5R RAID and going
>> back
>> to two separate drives, I have got XP working on one of the drives that
>> originally formed the RAID, but unfortunately this drive is now labelled
>> "I". I
>> have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
>> labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
>> drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
>> effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given
>> them.
>> The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive
>> C,
>> which is incidentally "active"?
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>

> I ran into a similar issue -- multiple drives, and the boot drive was
> renamed away from C -- and I had to remove all of the drives and boot from
> only drive remaining. This forced it to be renamed C, then the other
> drives plugged in afterwards picked up the subsequent letters. Plug in the
> USB drives last, and any other hard drives after C gets named and before
> the USB drives are installed.

Jeff Strickland

All Windows operating systems want to boot from C. C is the default drive to
boot from.

Additional drives are designated in alphabetical order. Your boot drive got
removed from the device manager at some point, and all of the other drives
moved up in the hirarcy, then the boot drive came back into the mix and was
assigned the next available drive letter, in this case it was I because all
of the lower letters were already assigned and are not bootable.

Maybe what you need to do is remove all of the drives except the one you
wish to boot from, then boot to the XP installation CD and do a reinstall or
repair. This should force the drive letter back to C for that drive.

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ecOzl.204013$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> [...]

>> labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
>> drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
>> effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given
>> them.
>> The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive
>> C,
>> which is incidentally "active"?
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>

> I ran into a similar issue -- multiple drives, and the boot drive was
> renamed away from C -- and I had to remove all of the drives and boot from
> only drive remaining. This forced it to be renamed C, then the other
> drives plugged in afterwards picked up the subsequent letters. Plug in the
> USB drives last, and any other hard drives after C gets named and before

If I do a repair, will it wipe out all the customisations which I done to
XP?

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gqocko$opq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All Windows operating systems want to boot from C. C is the default drive
> to boot from.
>
> Additional drives are designated in alphabetical order. Your boot drive
> got removed from the device manager at some point, and all of the other
> drives moved up in the hirarcy, then the boot drive came back into the mix
> and was assigned the next available drive letter, in this case it was I
> because all of the lower letters were already assigned and are not
> bootable.
>
> Maybe what you need to do is remove all of the drives except the one you
> wish to boot from, then boot to the XP installation CD and do a reinstall
> or repair. This should force the drive letter back to C for that drive.
>

> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ecOzl.204013$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hi Jeff,
>> I did exactly as you said but had no luck I'm afraid. It appears that my
>> copy of XP seems to call the drive it is booting from Drive I. I suppose
>> there might be a registry entry saying this, which was written when XP
>> was installed and drive I was the first bootable drive it came across.
>> The battle continues. I've been on the Acronis site to see if their Disk
>> Director Suite 10 can do it.
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gqm24i$3dd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:qqtzl.62199$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>>>

>>> I ran into a similar issue -- multiple drives, and the boot drive was
>>> renamed away from C -- and I had to remove all of the drives and boot
>>> from only drive remaining. This forced it to be renamed C, then the
>>> other drives plugged in afterwards picked up the subsequent letters.
>>> Plug in the USB drives last, and any other hard drives after C gets
>>> named and before the USB drives are installed.

Jeff Strickland

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.

My instinct is no, Windows should not kill your settings. Windows should
only look at the stuff it did and fix it. This would imply to me that the
stuff you did would remain intact.

The way I see it, Win is going to look for a particular file(s) to replace
it(them), and any other files it finds it should ignore. If your work uses a
Win file, then it should still use the Win file after it is repaired, and it
if put in new files, Win should ignore them.

Having said that, I don't really know what is going to happen relative to
your RAID settings. XP supports RAID, so it should be okay with yours.

I think that what has happened is your system was booted with the drives
removed for one reason or another. If this happened, then the existing
drives would be renamed starting with C, and your HDD when it was finally
reintroduced would get the next available letter, and it is also the boot
drive because the prior letters are assigned to non-boot volumes. Now, you
are trying to get the boot drive back to C.

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:arTzl.211428$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> If I do a repair, will it wipe out all the customisations which I done to
> XP?
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gqocko$opq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> All Windows operating systems want to boot from C. C is the default drive
>> to boot from.
>>
>> Additional drives are designated in alphabetical order. Your boot drive
>> got removed from the device manager at some point, and all of the other
>> drives moved up in the hirarcy, then the boot drive came back into the
>> mix and was assigned the next available drive letter, in this case it was
>> I because all of the lower letters were already assigned and are not
>> bootable.
>>
>> Maybe what you need to do is remove all of the drives except the one you
>> wish to boot from, then boot to the XP installation CD and do a reinstall
>> or repair. This should force the drive letter back to C for that drive.
>>

>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ecOzl.204013$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>> I did exactly as you said but had no luck I'm afraid. It appears that my
>>> copy of XP seems to call the drive it is booting from Drive I. I suppose
>>> there might be a registry entry saying this, which was written when XP
>>> was installed and drive I was the first bootable drive it came across.
>>> The battle continues. I've been on the Acronis site to see if their Disk
>>> Director Suite 10 can do it.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gqm24i$3dd$(E-Mail Removed)...

Erik Vastmasd

I caught a glimpse of "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:27:31 +0100, writing in alt.computer:

>Hi Jeff,
>I did exactly as you said but had no luck I'm afraid. It appears that my
>copy of XP seems to call the drive it is booting from Drive I. I suppose
>there might be a registry entry saying this, which was written when XP was
>installed and drive I was the first bootable drive it came across. The
>battle continues. I've been on the Acronis site to see if their Disk
>Director Suite 10 can do it.

I had a similar problem with a new WinXP Pro install.
It isn't just a registry problem.

I had to resort to Partition Magic to rename drives and format C: and
make it a primary and I had to be careful not to delete data on d: & e:
--

Erik