Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why is all Mozilla software so slow to load?

Why is all Mozilla software so slow to load?

Jimw

Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load, which
forces me to use IE as my default browser for those quicky links on
newsgroups. I only load FF when I am doing serious browsing.

I just started using Thunderbird, and that is the slowest loading
email software I ever used too.

I know there are a lot more features in FF than most browsers, so I
can understand why it would take a little longer, but it's more than
"a little". Both IE and Opera load MUCH faster, although I dont much
like Opera. Thunderbird has no excuse to load slow.

Jimw

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jimw wrote:
> Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load, which
> forces me to use IE as my default browser for those quicky links on
> newsgroups. I only load FF when I am doing serious browsing.
>
> I just started using Thunderbird, and that is the slowest loading
> email software I ever used too.
>
> I know there are a lot more features in FF than most browsers, so I
> can understand why it would take a little longer, but it's more than
> "a little". Both IE and Opera load MUCH faster, although I dont much
> like Opera. Thunderbird has no excuse to load slow.
>
> Jimw

IE loads fast because its preloaded when windows starts.

For me, both FF and TB starts up just about as fast as
IE does.

Perhaps there is something wrong at your end.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

John Doe

Jimw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load,

It loads slowly the first time, but much faster subsequently.
Leaving it open will prevent load time. I like it mainly because it
plays well with my speech recognition. Internet Explorer apparently
has stuff going on under the hood that interferes with what I tell
it to do. Firefox does what I tell it to do every time.

Speaking of migrating to another maker's software. After taking a
look at the Windows 7 beta and having been told that Vista was the
same way, I will seek a third-party file manager to replace
Microsoft's Windows Explorer whenever the time comes to "upgrade"
from Windows XP. Microsoft is trashing Windows Explorer IMO.

Leonidas Jones

Jimw wrote:

> Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load, which
> forces me to use IE as my default browser for those quicky links on
> newsgroups. I only load FF when I am doing serious browsing.
>
> I just started using Thunderbird, and that is the slowest loading
> email software I ever used too.
>
> I know there are a lot more features in FF than most browsers, so I
> can understand why it would take a little longer, but it's more than
> "a little". Both IE and Opera load MUCH faster, although I dont much
> like Opera. Thunderbird has no excuse to load slow.
>
> Jimw

There is a pre loader that is said to speed up load time by keeping
parts if FF loaded at all times:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

I've never used it, but I suspect it would cause some problems in slower
machines.

On Windows, I've always found that once I loaded FF the first time,
subsequent openings were much faster. You might just keep it open when
you are looking at newsgroups or mail, so those links will pop right up.
That would accomplish the goal, without keeping a program partially
loaded for no reason.

Lee

Jimw

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:39:01 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jimw wrote:
>> Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load, which
>> forces me to use IE as my default browser for those quicky links on
>> newsgroups. I only load FF when I am doing serious browsing.
>>
>> I just started using Thunderbird, and that is the slowest loading
>> email software I ever used too.
>>
>> I know there are a lot more features in FF than most browsers, so I
>> can understand why it would take a little longer, but it's more than
>> "a little". Both IE and Opera load MUCH faster, although I dont much
>> like Opera. Thunderbird has no excuse to load slow.
>>
>> Jimw

>IE loads fast because its preloaded when windows starts.

I know IE is preloaded in Windows, but Opera loads almost as fast as
IE, where FF takes way too long. I dont like Opera but I used it for
awhile as my default browser, but decided I'd rather use IE even if IE
is not the most secure, I like the way it works better.

>For me, both FF and TB starts up just about as fast as
>IE does.

Not here. IE starts in a few seconds, FF takes at least a half
minute.

>Perhaps there is something wrong at your end.

There's nothing wrong here. I run Win98se on a PIII 1000mhz w/512m
RAM. That's plenty of power for Win98, in fact the RAM is at the
maximum allowed in 98.

Jimw

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:42:19 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jimw wrote:
>
>> Although Firefox is the best browser, it takes forever to load, which
>> forces me to use IE as my default browser for those quicky links on
>> newsgroups. I only load FF when I am doing serious browsing.
>>
>> I just started using Thunderbird, and that is the slowest loading
>> email software I ever used too.
>>
>> I know there are a lot more features in FF than most browsers, so I
>> can understand why it would take a little longer, but it's more than
>> "a little". Both IE and Opera load MUCH faster, although I dont much
>> like Opera. Thunderbird has no excuse to load slow.
>>
>> Jimw

>There is a pre loader that is said to speed up load time by keeping
>parts if FF loaded at all times:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/
>
>I've never used it, but I suspect it would cause some problems in slower
>machines.
>
>On Windows, I've always found that once I loaded FF the first time,
>subsequent openings were much faster. You might just keep it open when
>you are looking at newsgroups or mail, so those links will pop right up.
>That would accomplish the goal, without keeping a program partially
>loaded for no reason.
>
>Lee

I'll give that preloader a try. Thanks!

zutroi

Jimw wrote:
>> For me, both FF and TB starts up just about as fast as
>> IE does.
>>

> Not here. IE starts in a few seconds, FF takes at least a half
> minute.

something definitely wrong at your end. cold start load of FF on my box,
which isn't terribly new or powerful is about 4-5 seconds.

>> Perhaps there is something wrong at your end.

> There's nothing wrong here. I run Win98se on a PIII 1000mhz w/512m
> RAM. That's plenty of power for Win98, in fact the RAM is at the
> maximum allowed in 98.

woo. ok, are you sure there's nothing wrong at your end? welcome to 1998
dude. that was ONLY 11 years ago. good luck with that.