Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > News Server Error Message

News Server Error Message

Jeff Strickland

What does this mean?

<ERROR MESSAGE>
400 Too many connections from your IP or server busy. Please try later.

Configuration:
Account: News
Server: news.motzarella.org
User name: xxxxxxxxxx
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 400
Code: 800ccca0

</ERROR MESSAGE>

I am getting this message with greater frequency lately. I don't understand
how there can be too many connections from my IP since, unless my IP is
Verizon and too many Verizon customers are using Motzarella.

I use Motzarella because it's free, and my IP (Verizon) does not support any
alt. news groups anymore, so I had to find a different news server. If
anybody has a free server that works better than Motzarella, I'm all ears.

I have found that some posters like to string up several newsgroups in a
single posting -- they cross post. I never cross post, but I do replay to
cross posted messages, and Motzarella will not allow more than 4 crossposted
groups in any message. I have to trim all but 4 groups when this happens,
but the idiot that cross posted in the first place adds them back in, so I
have to cut them out again. (I can't imagine the disjointed experience that
the groups I trim must be getting.)

I'd like to find a news service that does not have a hissy fit about
multiple groups in a single post, and also does not go down with the amazing
regularity of the service I'm using now.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> What does this mean?
>
> <ERROR MESSAGE>
> 400 Too many connections from your IP or server busy. Please try
> later.
>
> Configuration:
> Account: News
> Server: news.motzarella.org
> User name: xxxxxxxxxx
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Error Number: 400
> Code: 800ccca0
>
> </ERROR MESSAGE>
>

> I am getting this message with greater frequency lately. I don't
> understand how there can be too many connections from my IP since,
> unless my IP is Verizon and too many Verizon customers are using
> Motzarella.
>
> I use Motzarella because it's free, and my IP (Verizon) does not
> support any alt. news groups anymore, so I had to find a different
> news server. If anybody has a free server that works better than
> Motzarella, I'm all ears.
>
> I have found that some posters like to string up several newsgroups in
> a single posting -- they cross post. I never cross post, but I do
> replay to cross posted messages, and Motzarella will not allow more
> than 4 crossposted groups in any message. I have to trim all but 4
> groups when this happens, but the idiot that cross posted in the first
> place adds them back in, so I have to cut them out again. (I can't
> imagine the disjointed experience that the groups I trim must be
> getting.)
>
> I'd like to find a news service that does not have a hissy fit about
> multiple groups in a single post, and also does not go down with the
> amazing regularity of the service I'm using now.

The message indicates that either there are too many people trying to
access the server or that it is temporally down for some reason.
The "your IP" bit is a little misleading ! Your machine has a unique
IP but your ISP may be natting hundreds of addresses to a single IP
that the news server sees.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

- Bobb -

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gql3sh$oqc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> What does this mean?
>>
>> <ERROR MESSAGE>
>> 400 Too many connections from your IP or server busy. Please try
>> later.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Account: News
>> Server: news.motzarella.org
>> User name: xxxxxxxxxx
>> Protocol: NNTP
>> Port: 119
>> Secure(SSL): 0
>> Error Number: 400
>> Code: 800ccca0
>>
>> </ERROR MESSAGE>

<snip>
>> I'd like to find a news service that does not have a hissy fit about
>> multiple groups in a single post, and also does not go down with the
>> amazing regularity of the service I'm using now.

I think the server's attitude is:
Hey it's FREE. and they also don't want users (spammers ?) sending to 100
groups at a time.
Might also get "busy" status - rather than 3000 users getting lousy
response time, they set a limit to users and threads.
For other hosts:
http://www.google.com/Top/Computers/..._News_Servers/

I think you know, but to see the Motzarella.org info:
http://news.motzarella.org/serverstatus.php?language=en
hover over green bar to see THAT server's load /response time.