Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pagefile

Pagefile

Bert Hyman

In news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed) "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition
> it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>
> I am running
> XP Pro SP2
> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>
> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

You could move the page file to the E partition, and/or force the size
of the pagefile to anything you like.

Pagefile size of about 2x physical memory is a typical suggestion, but
"System managed size" is recommended unless you have a specific reason
to set your own size.

Right click the "My Computer" icon, select "Properties". On the
"Advanced" tab, press the "Settings" button in the "Performance"
section, select the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options" dialog,
then press the "Change" button in the "Virtual memory" section.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

The Stone Crusher

What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it is
on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.

I am running
XP Pro SP2
[Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]

Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

Goodwill,
Luke

thanatoid

Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> In news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed) "The Stone
> Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB!
>> The partition it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the
>> space I need.
>>
>> I am running
>> XP Pro SP2
>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of
>> RAM]
>>
>> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into 6-10
smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a partition
freak.

AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional CAD or
video or music editing programs, 2 MB of RAM pretty much insures
you almost never use your swap file. You can /probably/ make it
500MB (same max/min), put it on another partition, and forget
you even have it.

Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and a
200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a test a
while ago, it didn't use the swap file either. People forget you
used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16 MB of RAM.

The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed programs
which hog system and memory. A very complex but extremely well
written program, CoolEditPro, now known as Adobe Audition (who
knows what /they've/ done to it), makes its own temp files
because it is music editing and that takes a lot of space. Just
an example.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

The Stone Crusher

That is how I have it set~

"Bert Hyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed) "The Stone Crusher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition
>> it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>>
>> I am running
>> XP Pro SP2
>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>>
>> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

> You could move the page file to the E partition, and/or force the size
> of the pagefile to anything you like.
>
> Pagefile size of about 2x physical memory is a typical suggestion, but
> "System managed size" is recommended unless you have a specific reason
> to set your own size.
>
> Right click the "My Computer" icon, select "Properties". On the
> "Advanced" tab, press the "Settings" button in the "Performance"
> section, select the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options" dialog,
> then press the "Change" button in the "Virtual memory" section.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

The Stone Crusher

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> In news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed) "The Stone
>> Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB!
>>> The partition it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the
>>> space I need.
>>>
>>> I am running
>>> XP Pro SP2
>>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of
>>> RAM]
>>>
>>> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb

> First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into 6-10

I don't understant (WTF id D?) unless it is asking what is on D. It is the
drive letter of the optical drive.
> smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a partition
> freak.
>
> AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional CAD or

What does AFA mean, and where do I find the swap file and how do I . . .
I do music editing . . .
> video or music editing programs,

2 MB of RAM pretty much insures you almost never use your swap file.
That's what I have
You can /probably/ make it 500MB (same max/min), put it on another
partition, and forget you even have it.
How do you do that?
> Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and a
> 200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a test a
> while ago, it didn't use the swap file either. People forget you
> used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16 MB of RAM.
>
> The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed programs
> which hog system and memory. A very complex but extremely well
> written program, CoolEditPro, now known as Adobe Audition (who
> knows what /they've/ done to it), makes its own temp files
> because it is music editing and that takes a lot of space. Just
> an example.

You may have hit the nail on the head. That is what I use!!!

> --
> "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"

OP???
> (about thanatoid)

Thanks for responding,
Goodwill,
Luke

Bert Hyman

In news:49cd13f7$0$22538$(E-Mail Removed) "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That is how I have it set~

What's how you have it set? Managed by Windows or on the E partition?

If it's managed by Windows, I doubt that Windows ever makes the swap
file any smaller once it's had to enlarge it, so if you're concerned
about the size and don't want to move it to your larger partition,
you'll have to set the size to something you like through the "Custom
size" settings of the Virtual Memory dialog.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

chuckcar

"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed):

> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it
> is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>
> I am running
> XP Pro SP2
> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>
> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
>
> Goodwill,
> Luke

So what does task manager say you are running? programs require memory
after all.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

thanatoid

"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:49cd1538$0$22532$(E-Mail Removed):

>> First, I would divide your partition E (WTF id D?) into
>> 6-10

> I don't understant (WTF id D?) unless it is asking what is
> on D. It is the drive letter of the optical drive.

I typo'd it, WTF is "where the ****" ///is/// (although usually
it means WHAT the ****).

Then it "should" be E, unless D is external or something. All
internal drives come first, C,D,E, then F for the DVD drive or
whatever.

>> smaller partitions, but that's up to you. I /am/ a
>> partition freak.
>>
>> AFA the swap file, unless you run insanely professional
>> CAD or

> What does AFA

As far as.

> mean, and where do I find the swap file and
> how do I . . . I do music editing . . .

>> video or music editing programs,

> 2 MB of RAM pretty much insures you almost never use your
> swap file. That's what I have
> You can /probably/ make it 500MB (same max/min), put it on
> another partition, and forget you even have it.

> How do you do that?

You go to control panel - system - performance - virtual memory
(on a 98 machine, may be slightly different on yours...) Then
choose a DEFRAGGED drive - or defrag a drive first - with 500MB
free and make the min-max sizes the same (it will tell you NOT
to do it, ignore that) and restart the machine.
I know in XP "let Windows manage your virtual memory" is
"supposed to" work better, but a 5GB swap file is ridiculous.
Unless you use Audition and Adobe changed the "private" temp
files of Cool Edit Pro to using the main swap file, in which
case you should leave everything as it is. Temp music files CAN
take that much space. But Cool Edit Pro let you choose the size
and location of its temp files and it deleted everything at the
end of the session. Who knows what Adobe did to it.

>> Admittedly, I use 98seLite, but I have 1 GB of memory and
>> a 200KB swap file which is NEVER used. I put XP on as a
>> test a while ago, it didn't use the swap file either.

>> People forget you used to be able to do EVERYTHING with 16
>> MB of RAM.
>>
>> The trick is not to install idiotic badly designed
>> programs which hog system and memory. A very complex but
>> extremely well written program, CoolEditPro, now known as
>> Adobe Audition (who knows what /they've/ done to it),
>> makes its own temp files because it is music editing and
>> that takes a lot of space. Just an example.

> You may have hit the nail on the head. That is what I
> use!!!

Like I said above, chances are Adobe ****ed up a great program,
but if you use the original Cool Edit Pro by Syntrillium, you
can follow the swap file advice.

>> "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"

> OP???

"Original post" or "original poster", in this case ME, that's
what someone once said about a post of mine and I found it
amusing so I am using it as a signature.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> "Luke The Stone Crusher" wrote:
>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition
>> it is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.

> So what does task manager say you are running? programs require memory
> after all.

"The CureAll! Shut off everything in Task Manager!!!"

Chuckybabe, get a new line.

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:56:04 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"The CureAll! Shut off everything in Task Manager!!!"
>
>Chuckybabe, get a new line.

*after* you've removed all cards from your computer and reset your
BIOS to factory defaults.