Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pagefile

Pagefile

lugnut

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:26:03 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it is
>on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>
> I am running
>XP Pro SP2
>[Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>
>Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
>
>Goodwill,
>Luke

Luke,

You can keep looking for any and all technical answers to
your question. The truth is that XP runs best with a
system controlled pagefile Which is usually about 1.5 times
installed ram - it may be more but seldem much smaller if
machine controlled. The pagefile is is just a swap file
which prevents the os from hesitating unnucessarily while
process or switching operations. If you hit the max ram,
the OS has to completely unload the drivers, etc that are
not directly related to what it is doing befor it can load
the required drivers, etc. Much of this info is not stored
un a useable format for the OS on the hard drive and has to
be re-processed for each operation thereby taking up
additional time. If the pagefile is used, the OS simply
dumps the data as-is to the pagefile leaving it ready for
immediate use when next required. This allows a machine to
process data which may actually requires 2GB of ram to run
with only 256MB installed albeit a bit slow. I have seen
recommendations that you remove the pagefile or manually
limit it's size. This can result in being slowed or
prevented from running some software that requires more ram
than installed.

The pagefile is usually controlled by the machine at about
1.5 times installed ram. It's size is dynamic determined by
the demands of the operating system plus any loaded
software. In any case about 1.5 times installed ram makes
sure the machine can keep processing if it approaches the
limit of the installed ram. There are many apps that need
more than the installed ram because of the size of the files
generated. Some use the tmp/temp folders somewhere on the
machine. If you check your C: partition, you will likely
find one of each in the root directory. Windows probably
has one in it's own folder.

If you ever used hibernate on your machine, you also have a
hiberfile on the C: partition. The hiberfile is located in
the root folder and will be large enough to hold everything
the machine has in ram and pagefile when hibernate was
invoked.

You can go into the environment controls and move these
files to another partition where they will also take up
space. Over the long term, this strategy is difficult to
control or enforce because of software installs. I am no
expert by any stretch on computers but, I have been
tinkering and hacking them as well as install and setup for
near 30 years. On my own machines and those that follow my
recommendation for a stabil machine, I usually setup the C:
partition to handle the OS and all of it's supporting
utilities form whatever source like the firewall, a/v, file
managers or machine info utils. I also make sure the C:
partition is large enough to handle all of the temp/tmp
files, the pagefile and the hiberfile as well as any memory
dump files that may be generated during a machine or
software crash. On my machines, the C: partition usually
needs to be about 40GB. Keep in mind that some software
will refuse to install or run unless it is able to install
or access the system partition. I usually setup a partition
for application installs like an office suite, video editor,
audio editing and any other non system related software. I
use another partition to store any data or record files. In
my own case, I have a second Business data partition where I
store everything related to the business and yet another
partition where all downloads are sent and may be stored in
an archive folder. I also make sure any video or DSC camera
downloads or temporary files for editing are stored there.

If I am setting up a machine that has a large drive for
someone who is computer ir technically illiterate with no
interest other than internet surfing or basic use, I use
only a C: partition no matter the drive size. Most users
have no concept of the idea that a computer storage system
is no greatly different than an office file cabinet. They
just want a big shoe box the throw thing into.

In your case, I would suggest you download the free version
of something like Easeus Partition manager to increase the
size of your C: partition to at least 30GB unless you forsee
installing a lot more software there. If you will not be
installing more applications, you will be amazed at how much
better it will perform by just going up to 20GB. This
package will not alter or destroy any data on the drive.
You will need to leave the machine idle while it does it's
thing. If you do this, reduce the size of the E: partition
first. You can then increase the C: partition size to use
all of the space freed by reducing the E: drive size. Once
you setup what you want done, press the apply button and
take a break for a few minutes. If this is a laptop, make
sure it is not turned off or otherwise interrupted during
the process. Another free alternative is GPartEd which is a
live linux disc. Download it, burn to CD, boot the machine.
It will boot to a windows-like GUI which is similar to most
other apps of the sort. This also will do the job with no
data loss or corruption under most conditions unless the
machine loses power during the process. You should make or
already have a backup of any data you cannot afford to lose.

Lugnut

Evan Platt

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:21:43 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I GIVE UP!

You've gotten good answers from a lot of people here, but apparently
ignored them.

Best of luck.

The Stone Crusher

I GIVE UP!
"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it
> is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>
> I am running
> XP Pro SP2
> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>
> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
>
> Goodwill,
> Luke

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

The Stone Crusher wrote:

> I GIVE UP!

It's your clock that's giving you all the troubles...

--
-bts

hwf

The Stone Crusher wrote:
> I GIVE UP!
> "The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49cce205$0$27771$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is going on with pagefile? My pagefile is 4.8GB! The partition it
>> is on is 14.6GB. It is eating up the space I need.
>>
>> I am running
>> XP Pro SP2
>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>>
>> Partition C:/ is 14.6Gb & partition E:/ is 215Gb
>>
>> Goodwill,
>> Luke

Set your own swap file size then and see if it works
You wont learn anything unless you break stuff...

--
http://www.eyeonpalin.org
________ ______ _____________

lugnut

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I GIVE UP!

Now, you have guaranteed failure.

What you need to give up is some space on the C: partition
so the systerm can do it's job. If you cannot give up more
space for the OS, you need a bigger drive or remove some of
the stuff that is on it. Simpl as that and those are your
choices if you want it to run properly. Hard drives are
cheap - 500 GB laptop drive around here and on the net for
under $100 US.

Good luck

Lugnut