Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > adding text with multiple hyperlinks

adding text with multiple hyperlinks

ton

Hi,

I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET). But I have to do something
which can't be achieved with just controls. Ok here is what I want.

I need to understand how I can write a sentence with multiple hyperlinks
like:

this RULE for this PERSON

what i want is that i can hyper link these uppercase words. And if possible:
how can it be done in VS2005.

Thanx

Ton

freemont

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:26:48 +0100, ton writ:

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

Andy Dingley

On 27 Mar, 12:26, "ton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET).

No, you're developing a site _with_ VB, but your finished site will be
_in_ HTML, because that's what the web uses and that's all that the
user's browser gets to receive.[*]

So this is a purely HTML problem. Read HTML references and write HTML
to solve it.

Then, as a later step, work on the VB that generates this HTML. But
it's the HTML that matters and what you need to focus on.

As freemont has already answered, the HTML looks something like this:

p>

The <a> element to create a link is an inline element, which allows
you to put several of them inside one overal block element (the <p>
here). There's no restriction that makes links appear as stand-alone
blocks, and you should beware of any tools that restrict or encourage
you to thinking that way.

[*] Possibly, CSS & JavaScript too, maybe even Flash - but NEVER
server-side VB. Once your server-side code has generated the content,
it's that content that's the crucial part, not how you did it.

dorayme

In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:26:48 +0100, ton writ:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET). But I have to do something
> > which can't be achieved with just controls. Ok here is what I want.
> >
> > I need to understand how I can write a sentence with multiple hyperlinks
> > like:
> >
> > this RULE for this PERSON
> >
> > what i want is that i can hyper link these uppercase words. And if
> > possible: how can it be done in VS2005.
> >
> > Thanx
> >
> > Ton

And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
fashioned into the structure of a *table*.

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2009-03-27, Andy Dingley wrote:
> On 27 Mar, 12:26, "ton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm developing a website in vb2005 (DOTNET).

> No, you're developing a site _with_ VB, but your finished site will be
> _in_ HTML, because that's what the web uses and that's all that the
> user's browser gets to receive.[*]

It is entirely possible that the site is developed in VB. I have
seen sites that use client-side VB and are unusable without it.

Author:

freemont

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:

> In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
> together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
> fashioned into the structure of a *table*.

No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!

Next.
--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

dorayme

In article <60985$49cd4352$ae831467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:
>
> > In article <e3ad0$49ccc751$ae831467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > And, of course, if you have a lot of these and you need to bring them
> > together, the information, having no real structure of its own, can be
> > fashioned into the structure of a *table*.

> No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!

No, never use tables. Especially if you have, say 50 links to distribute
to 50 different people. It does not matter if it is very convenient to
users. Just don't do it! The priesthood has spoken.

--
dorayme

Andy Dingley

On 27 Mar, 21:15, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> * *It is entirely possible that the site is developed in VB. I have
> * *seen sites that use client-side VB and are unusable without it.

There's no such critter as "client-side VB". Presumably you mean
"client-side VBScript", but that's quite a different beast and more
similar to client-side JavaScript. It's not the VB you'd be using here
with .NET

The same rule applies though. This is _NOT_ the language in which
you're writing the server-side code. Working effectively needs you to
keep both quite separate in your mind.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <60985$49cd4352$ae831467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > freemont <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 07:50:58 +1100, dorayme writ:

> >> No way, tables are really bad! Never use tables!

> > No, never use tables. Especially if you have, say 50 links to distribute
> > to 50 different people. It does not matter if it is very convenient to
> > users. Just don't do it! The priesthood has spoken.
> >

> <brainwash>I'm sorry, what is a table?</brainwash>

Ed, I am planning a small re-education camp to counter the church on
this one. It will be in a thread I hope you don't hate as much as the
one about paragraphs. <g>

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

Think I'll join you. One before bed, Canadian and 7up over ice. Ahhh,
that's nice.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services