Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Do You Decrease Virtual Memory???

How Do You Decrease Virtual Memory???

Russ

I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

Jm

"Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
> virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
> don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

Generally speaking in order to decrease virtual memory you need to decrease
available disk space to be used by virtual memory. Usually the fastest and
easiest way to do that is to set your maximum pagefile size to zero. After
that you may have to start removing physical memory from the machine.

Personally, I recommend against decreasing virtual memory -- your computer
needs it run efficiently.

Whiskers

On 2009-03-27, Russ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
> virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
> don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

Your hard disc is probably getting too full for the operating system to
find enough room for the 'swap space' it needs to run all the programs you
want to have in use at the same time.

Do some housekeeping; delete all the files you don't need any more; files
you want to keep but don't need to got to every day should be moved to
external media (CDs, DVDs, external hard disc, ...) to free up your
computer's hard disc. Use the 'system tools' provided with your operating
system to 'recover disc space' and 'defragment'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

1PW

On 03/26/2009 11:28 PM, Russ sent:
> I keep getting a window popping up that says my computer is low on
> virtual memory. It has been running slow for quite a while, and I
> don't know how to fix it? Anyone know? TIA

Download, install and run: CCleaner:

<http://www.ccleaner.com/>

CCleaner is very reputable. Don't use the registry cleaner unless you
are an expert.

Follow with the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

If you still don't have enough free space, you are very close to needing
a larger hard disk drive or doing some very serious uninstalls of
unused applications.

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]