Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Development Server Setup

Development Server Setup

Miro

Hi,
Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
Going through my tutorial book -
I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
web browser popping up with the address as:

http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm

Now this pulls up the error:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also set
it for 2.0

But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get my
pages to display.

Thanks,

Miro

"More Information" from IE==============
More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

..Internet connectivity has been lost.
..The website is temporarily unavailable.
..The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
..The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
..There might be a typing error in the address.
..If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page
you want to view.

Miro

Found this link - just as I posted my question
http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/ar...s-working.aspx

Sorry for the post - below is a cut and paste of the link.
(basically add the 127.0.0.1 localhost to
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
some update in windows defender did it.

Here is a cut and paste =============
ASP.NET Web Development Server Stops Working
A Windows Defender and Microsoft Forefront Client Security signature file
(1.53.256.0) was released at 8:45 PM (PST) on March 9, 2009 to address a
Win32/PossibleHostFileHijack issue. This update modified the hosts file to
prevent malicious redirection of websites. As a result, the entry for
localhost may have been removed from the hosts file. When this entry is
missing and a site is launched in the ASP.NET Web Development Server (aka
Cassini) via Visual Studio, Internet Explorer displays "Internet Explorer
cannot display the webpage".

To resolve this issue, open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add an
entry for localhost:

127.0.0.1 localhost

A new signature file (1.53.288.0) was released at 8:57 PM on March 9, 2009
that does not affect the localhost entry.

============================

"Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
> Going through my tutorial book -
> I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
> web browser popping up with the address as:
>
> http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm
>
> Now this pulls up the error:
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
>
> What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
> I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also
> set it for 2.0
>
> But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get my
> pages to display.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miro
>

> "More Information" from IE==============
> More information
>
> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>
> .Internet connectivity has been lost.
> .The website is temporarily unavailable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> .There might be a typing error in the address.
> .If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
> are enabled under the security section.
>
> For offline users
>
> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
> To view subscribed feeds
>
> 1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
> you want to view.
>
> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>
> 1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
> 2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
> page you want to view.

Scott M.

FYI: The results you get with IE8 may vary wildly with the results you get
in IE7 or IE6 (which is what most corporations are still on).

-Scott

"Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
> Going through my tutorial book -
> I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
> web browser popping up with the address as:
>
> http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm
>
> Now this pulls up the error:
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
>
> What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
> I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also
> set it for 2.0
>
> But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get my
> pages to display.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miro
>

> "More Information" from IE==============
> More information
>
> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>
> .Internet connectivity has been lost.
> .The website is temporarily unavailable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> .There might be a typing error in the address.
> .If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
> are enabled under the security section.
>
> For offline users
>
> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
> To view subscribed feeds
>
> 1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
> you want to view.
>
> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>
> 1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
> 2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
> page you want to view.

Miro

Im just going through the tutorial book "step by step", and there are 2 more
books in sequence.

I figure by the time im done, and want to write something for the real world
IE10 will be out

I have learned vb.net and now want to start learning how to do the asp.net
side as well.

One thing that I do have about IE8 is that it displays many websites wrong
that worked with IE7.

I do not recommend anyone installing IE8 yet.

Cheers'

Miro

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> FYI: The results you get with IE8 may vary wildly with the results you get
> in IE7 or IE6 (which is what most corporations are still on).
>
> -Scott
>

> "Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
>> Going through my tutorial book -
>> I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
>> web browser popping up with the address as:
>>
>> http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm
>>
>> Now this pulls up the error:
>> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
>>
>> What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
>> I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also
>> set it for 2.0
>>
>> But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get
>> my pages to display.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Miro
>>

>> "More Information" from IE==============
>> More information
>>
>> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>>
>> .Internet connectivity has been lost.
>> .The website is temporarily unavailable.
>> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
>> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
>> domain.
>> .There might be a typing error in the address.
>> .If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
>> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
>> are enabled under the security section.
>>
>> For offline users
>>
>> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
>> To view subscribed feeds
>>
>> 1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
>> feed you want to view.
>>
>> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>>
>> 1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
>> 2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
>> page you want to view.

Hillbilly

Read this: http://tinyurl.com/clpklf

"Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
> Going through my tutorial book -
> I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
> web browser popping up with the address as:
>
> http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm
>
> Now this pulls up the error:
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
>
> What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
> I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also
> set it for 2.0
>
> But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get my
> pages to display.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miro
>

> "More Information" from IE==============
> More information
>
> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>
> .Internet connectivity has been lost.
> .The website is temporarily unavailable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> .There might be a typing error in the address.
> .If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
> are enabled under the security section.
>
> For offline users
>
> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
> To view subscribed feeds
>
> 1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
> you want to view.
>
> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>
> 1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
> 2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
> page you want to view.

Scott M.

IE 8 has a "compatability mode" switch the you are supposed to know to set
if you want it to be backwards compatible with sites that work with IE 7.
This functionality will not change, so don't wait for a newer version of IE8
that works differently.

Because of this, as I said, you should not try to learn web page development
while using a browser that provides results that are different than the
learning materials you are working from.

-Scott

"Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im just going through the tutorial book "step by step", and there are 2
> more books in sequence.
>
> I figure by the time im done, and want to write something for the real
> world IE10 will be out
>
> I have learned vb.net and now want to start learning how to do the asp.net
> side as well.
>
> One thing that I do have about IE8 is that it displays many websites wrong
> that worked with IE7.
>
> I do not recommend anyone installing IE8 yet.
>
> Cheers'
>
> Miro
>
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> FYI: The results you get with IE8 may vary wildly with the results you
>> get in IE7 or IE6 (which is what most corporations are still on).
>>
>> -Scott
>>

>> "Miro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
>>> Going through my tutorial book -
>>> I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get
>>> the web browser popping up with the address as:
>>>
>>> http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm
>>>
>>> Now this pulls up the error:
>>> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
>>>
>>> What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
>>> I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also
>>> set it for 2.0
>>>
>>> But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get
>>> my pages to display.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Miro
>>>

>>> "More Information" from IE==============
>>> More information
>>>
>>> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>>>
>>> .Internet connectivity has been lost.
>>> .The website is temporarily unavailable.
>>> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
>>> .The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
>>> domain.
>>> .There might be a typing error in the address.
>>> .If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
>>> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
>>> are enabled under the security section.
>>>
>>> For offline users
>>>
>>> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
>>> To view subscribed feeds
>>>
>>> 1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
>>> feed you want to view.
>>>
>>> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>>>
>>> 1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
>>> 2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
>>> page you want to view.

Miro

yeah - I use the compatability button a lot.

I switch back all the time.

Thanks

Miro

news:(E-Mail Removed)...