Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > physical interfaces on ASA5520

physical interfaces on ASA5520

essenz

My ASA5520 has 4 GE NIC, and one FE NIC/MGMT.

Right now of my four GE NICs, I have outside, inside, dmz, and the
fourth NIC is being using for failover cable.

I need to add one more physical network segment, inside2. Can this be
done on that 5 NIC the FE/MGMT? Or can failover be moved to the FE/
MGMT NIC freeing up the last GE port?

I used to do this on PIX 515E's which had 6 interfaces, so failover
cable, and the statefull link, still left me me with enough NICs to do
this.

Thanks
John

Andrey Tarasov

essenz wrote:
> My ASA5520 has 4 GE NIC, and one FE NIC/MGMT.
>
> Right now of my four GE NICs, I have outside, inside, dmz, and the
> fourth NIC is being using for failover cable.
>
> I need to add one more physical network segment, inside2. Can this be
> done on that 5 NIC the FE/MGMT? Or can failover be moved to the FE/
> MGMT NIC freeing up the last GE port?
>
> I used to do this on PIX 515E's which had 6 interfaces, so failover
> cable, and the statefull link, still left me me with enough NICs to do
> this.

There are multiple ways to do that. You can add Cisco ASA 5500 Series
4-Port GE SSM card and get 4 more GE ports. You can configure management
interface to carry production traffic (you will need Security Plus
license, below is URL with description)

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/ViewWik...essage_appears

Or you can use VLANs to get additional segments.

I don't think it's a good idea to move fail-over to FE interface. If I
remember it correctly, it should be as fast as fastest interface on the box.

Regards,
Andrey.