Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External disk doesn't work

External disk doesn't work

M.G.Schram

I bougth a external hard disk to use as backup. A Maxwel external desktop
hard drive 640 GB with USB 2.0.
When I connect the disk it doesnt recognize the USB device. As diagnostic
with the USB port I get = "Dit apparaat start niet (code 10)" (This device
doesnt start). (There is a green licht burning on the device)
The driver is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS5.1.2600.0 (on a XP
platform)

To check where the fault is, I brougth the harddisk to a friend with a XP PC
and tried the harddisc here. It worked on my friends PC without a problem,
it has to be some problem on my PC and not the device. The memory USB sticks
give no problem.

Any idea how I can find out? or what it cab be?

Greetings,

Marc

hwf

M.G.Schram wrote:
> I bougth a external hard disk to use as backup. A Maxwel external desktop
> hard drive 640 GB with USB 2.0.
> When I connect the disk it doesnt recognize the USB device. As diagnostic
> with the USB port I get = "Dit apparaat start niet (code 10)" (This device
> doesnt start). (There is a green licht burning on the device)
> The driver is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS5.1.2600.0 (on a XP
> platform)
>
> To check where the fault is, I brougth the harddisk to a friend with a XP PC
> and tried the harddisc here. It worked on my friends PC without a problem,
> it has to be some problem on my PC and not the device. The memory USB sticks
> give no problem.
>
> Any idea how I can find out? or what it cab be?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Marc

Directions:
http://www.usbman.com/WinME%20USB%20Guide.htm