Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google Search

Google Search

PeeCee

"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49caa453$0$22546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I
> ran a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought
> the more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going
> on? Am I missing something important?
> Luke

I all depends on how you enter the words.

Click "Advanced Search" on the right of the text box.
Put quotes ("") around your search words.
Use the "Search within results" link at the bottom of the page.
Use "and" between each word.

eg "emu and 1212m and firewire" give 20,100 hits.
Searching 'within results' for 'downloads on this result reduced the hits to
5,520.

Best
Paul

Mike Easter

The Stone Crusher wrote:
> When I ran a google search

The term 'google search' is ambiguous to me, because I generally use
google advanced search, so to me google search means google advanced
search -- I guess I have to assume that google search means to you that
you just plug in terms to the 'regular' google search tool -- which terms
do not have operators like AND or OR.

> for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When
> I ran a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I
> thought the more things I had to search for the less I would find.

According to googlesearchhelp, the concept 'every word matters' also
includes the concept 'except when it doesn't'.

In order to investigate your question more thoroughly, I guess you should
examine some significant subset or all of the hits and see how many of
them contain 3 strings and how many contain 2 strings and how many only
contain 1 string.

> What's going on? Am I missing something important?

To me the most important thing you are missing is that the number of hits
on a search isn't a useful or even relevant piece of information - in the
context of finding what you are actually looking for. That is, you aren't
going to examine 80000 or 300000 pages -- or likely even 80 or 300 pages,
so the numbers of tens of thousands of hits is 'relatively' irrelevant.

--
Mike Easter

The Stone Crusher

When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I ran
a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on? Am
I missing something important?
Luke

johncapleton

Use this format for your search to limit the choices:
+"Emu 1212m" +firewire
The wildcard + makes each item manditory, and the "Emu 1212m" makes the
complete phrase manditory...

----
ICQ UIN: 17241789
----

Whiskers

On 2009-03-25, The Stone Crusher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I ran
> a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
> more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on? Am
> I missing something important?
> Luke

So Google thinks there are 79,800 pages which contain either the word Emu
or the 'word' 1212m. Some of those pages could contain both words. Then
Google thinks there are 278,000 pages that contain 'Emu' or '1212m' or
'firewire'. Some of those pages could contain two of those words, or even
all three. But what Google thinks constitute different pages isn't
necessarily what any reasonably sane human would see as different pages,
so the number of pages claimed by Google is meaningless once it gets into
double figures. Then there are all the web pages Google doesn't know
about at all, and then there's the rest of the internet.

I think what you are missing is the information Google provide if you go
to 'Advanced Search' and then 'Advanced Search Tips'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

hwf

The Stone Crusher wrote:
> When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I ran
> a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
> more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on? Am
> I missing something important?
> Luke

Try using the Force?

--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Stone Crusher wrote:
>> When I ran a google search

> The term 'google search' is ambiguous to me, because I generally use
> google advanced search, so to me google search means google advanced
> search -- I guess I have to assume that google search means to you that
> you just plug in terms to the 'regular' google search tool -- which terms
> do not have operators like AND or OR.
>
>> for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When
>> I ran a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I
>> thought the more things I had to search for the less I would find.

> According to googlesearchhelp, the concept 'every word matters' also
> includes the concept 'except when it doesn't'.
>
> In order to investigate your question more thoroughly, I guess you should
> examine some significant subset or all of the hits and see how many of
> them contain 3 strings and how many contain 2 strings and how many only
> contain 1 string.
>
>> What's going on? Am I missing something important?

> To me the most important thing you are missing is that the number of hits
> on a search isn't a useful or even relevant piece of information - in the
> context of finding what you are actually looking for. That is, you aren't
> going to examine 80000 or 300000 pages -- or likely even 80 or 300 pages,
> so the numbers of tens of thousands of hits is 'relatively' irrelevant.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

The Stone Crusher

This is real help. It makes it possible to narrow down the search.
Thanks
"johncapleton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oqyyl.20596$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Use this format for your search to limit the choices:
> +"Emu 1212m" +firewire
> The wildcard + makes each item manditory, and the "Emu 1212m" makes the
> complete phrase manditory...
>
> ----
> (E-Mail Removed)
> ICQ UIN: 17241789
> ----

The Stone Crusher

thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:38:21 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>When I ran a google search for Emu 1212m there were 79,800 hits. When I
>>ran
>>a search for Emu 1212m firewire there were 278,000 hits. I thought the
>>more things I had to search for the less I would find. What's going on?
>>Am
>>I missing something important?
>>Luke
>>

> Google's search methodology is equivelant to horsehockey.
> Unless the search term(s) is extremely popular, you never know what
> google is gonna give you. It also depends on how many quality websites
> have that term as well as the number of "google ads" that website has.
>
> I was surprised to see that nearly all of the first 100 hits were
> matched to the term in this case.

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
news:(E-Mail Removed)...