Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Broadband speed test

Broadband speed test

pimpom

Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
have stood out among the many available?

My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

Bert Hyman

In news:gqduf6$2ci$(E-Mail Removed) "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
> have stood out among the many available?

I've found these useful:

http://jlab4.jlab.org:7123/
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
http://web100.rit.edu:7123/
http://speedtest.umflint.edu/
http://netspeed.stanford.edu/
http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/
http://ndt.server.ufl.edu:7123/
http://ndt.ncren.net:7123/
http://ndt.switch.ch/
http://nitro.ucsc.edu/
http://nms1.jp.apan.net:7123/

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Evan Platt

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
>have stood out among the many available?
>
>My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
>some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
>not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is, the
slower and less accurate the test results will be?

Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service will
take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test it by
sending a mail to my cousin across the world."

That being said, www.2wire.com is good.. So is www.speedtest.net as
well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

pimpom

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:gqduf6$2ci$(E-Mail Removed) "pimpom"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
>> have stood out among the many available?

> I've found these useful:
>
> http://jlab4.jlab.org:7123/
> http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
> http://web100.rit.edu:7123/
> http://speedtest.umflint.edu/
> http://netspeed.stanford.edu/
> http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/
> http://ndt.server.ufl.edu:7123/
> http://ndt.ncren.net:7123/
> http://ndt.switch.ch/
> http://nitro.ucsc.edu/
> http://nms1.jp.apan.net:7123/

Thanks a lot.

pimpom

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
>> have stood out among the many available?
>>
>> My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
>> some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
>> not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

> You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
> accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is,
> the
> slower and less accurate the test results will be?
>
> Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service
> will
> take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test
> it by
> sending a mail to my cousin across the world."

Yes, I know that distance will have an effect on the test
results. As I said earlier, my ISP has its own test. But I'm
concerned not so much with my connection to my ISP and nearby
sites as with what can be expected in practice from sites around
the world. In fact, the test is not really for me, but for others
who sometimes ask me for that kind of information.

I used to have a list of popular sites but haven't been concerned
with such tests for some time and I lost the list.

> That being said, www.2wire.com is good.. So is
> www.speedtest.net as
> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

Thanks.

Bucky Breeder

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> promulgated
this using news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
>> have stood out among the many available?
>>
>> My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
>> some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
>> not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

> You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
> accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is, the
> slower and less accurate the test results will be?

Not so much.

> Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service will
> take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test it by
> sending a mail to my cousin across the world."

And then do have the secks with her too?

> That being said, www.2wire.com is good..

Using that means you're likely blind and ghaytarded...

> So is www.speedtest.net as
> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC when according
to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should gets faster from the Dallas.
But they're prolly slower because they're secksing your cousin while
you're busy just writing about it.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akita...illusion01.jpg

thanatoid

Bucky Breeder
<Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:

<SNIP>

>> So is www.speedtest.net as
>> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

> I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
> when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
> gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
> because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
> writing about it.

Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

pimpom

thanatoid wrote:
> Bucky Breeder
> <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
> wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> So is www.speedtest.net as
>>> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

>> I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
>> when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
>> gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
>> because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
>> writing about it.

> Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
> to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
> somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!

I can't say "always" because I don't check that closely, but I do
know that I too often get better d/l speeds from distant sites.

chuckcar

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Bucky Breeder
> <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
> wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> So is www.speedtest.net as
>>> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

>> I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
>> when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
>> gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
>> because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
>> writing about it.

> Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
> to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
> somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!

It's to lower internet traffic saturation. Remember you're downloading at
60+KB/s for an extended period of time. Aside from NNTP servers, that
hardly ever happens any other time.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:16:10 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It's to lower internet traffic saturation. Remember you're downloading at
>60+KB/s for an extended period of time. Aside from NNTP servers, that
>hardly ever happens any other time.

Wow... No, that never happens downloading a file from a web server or
an FTP server.

You are totally clueless.