Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Hey what kind of software can do that?

Re: Hey what kind of software can do that?

Mike Easter

Sarah Houston wrote:
> This software sounds fascinating, for tracking demographics of my web
> page stats. Any idea what it is?

The IP address in question belongs in this netblock:

whois -h whois.arin.net 209.144.137.1 ...
Savvis 209.144.0.0 - 209.144.255.255
The Supreme Court of the U.S. 209.144.137.0 - 209.144.137.255

.... from this screenshot of her software
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images/...rtvisittwo.jpg

The significance of the information gleaned from the browser webserver
interaction seems to be overrated by the article at worldnetdaily
http://snipr.com/eje4u

The article carries on as if the IP meant that one of the Supremes himself
was reading her blog.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Sarah Houston wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Sarah Houston wrote:
>>> This software sounds fascinating, for tracking demographics of my
>>> web page stats. Any idea what it is?

>> The IP address in question belongs in this netblock:
>>
>> whois -h whois.arin.net 209.144.137.1 ...
>> Savvis 209.144.0.0 - 209.144.255.255
>> The Supreme Court of the U.S. 209.144.137.0 - 209.144.137.255

>> The article carries on as if the IP meant that one of the Supremes
>> himself was reading her blog.

> That's what I was trying to figure, if someone could determine who
> actually reads their site, like she claimed to.

In this case the simple determination of the IP and its whois at arin
showed a little /24 sub-block (256 IP addresses) of savvis which savvis
has tons and tons of IP addresses and much much larger netblocks in
addition to this particular /16 (65000 IP addresses) which 256 IPs belong
to the SCOTUS.

There wasn't any magic going on there and the information derived from the
IP shouldn't be overrated. And/But geographic (and other) information
derived from an IP is useful, as is a lot of other information which is
exchanged between the browser and the webserver.

--
Mike Easter