Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP Pro Utilities

Win XP Pro Utilities

OldGringo

I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the running processes
and keep them off until I use them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>
--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Aardvark

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:58:33 -0500, OldGringo wrote:

> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the running processes and
> keep them off until I use them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass!

Bucky Breeder

OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this
using news:mCsyl.13491$(E-Mail Removed):

> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
> running processes and keep them off until I use
> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
back on again."

Some reason task manager does not work for you?

In WinXP, you could goto C:\WINDOWS\system32

Locate taskmgr.exe

Right-click | Send To | Desktop (create a shortcut)

Just rename it (it has the little arrow) to Task Manager

Open it by double clicking on the shortcut

Under "Options" check them all

('Minimize on use' and 'Hide when minimized' will
send it to your SysTray when minimized)

Minimize - Maximize - Minimize - Maximize - wheeeeee-000
better than Diddneyland...

Close it out - 'Exit by File' | Exit or "Red X"

Now, navigate to this folder :

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Copy and paste your new shortcut there

Reboot...

Your Task Manager should be in your SysTray, with a litt'e
dashboard meter informing you of your CPU usage at a glance...

Now, double-click your little icon...

Click the "Processes" tab...

You can click any of the column headers to re-arrange your
processes. You can also click View | Select Columms...
and pick the aspect(s) you wish to monitor. Most folks find
that CPU Usage, Memory Usage, User Name are sufficient - however
some like the Virtual Memory Size when they're selectively
eliminating processes for a particular task. NOTE that it
does not have a "default" per se, so you might want to keep
a Notepad file on your adjustments - at least initially.

Good luck.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akita...illusion01.jpg

Evan Platt

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:29:04 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass!

And to take care of chucktard, you need to say you're removed and
reseated every card / memory, and reset your BIOS to factory defaults.

OldGringo

Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
> OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this
> using news:mCsyl.13491$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
>> running processes and keep them off until I use
>> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
>> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

> Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
> back on again."
>
> Some reason task manager does not work for you?
>
> In WinXP, you could goto C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> Locate taskmgr.exe
>
> Right-click | Send To | Desktop (create a shortcut)
>
> Just rename it (it has the little arrow) to Task Manager
>
> Open it by double clicking on the shortcut
>
> Under "Options" check them all
>
> ('Minimize on use' and 'Hide when minimized' will
> send it to your SysTray when minimized)
>
> Minimize - Maximize - Minimize - Maximize - wheeeeee-000
> better than Diddneyland...
>
> Close it out - 'Exit by File' | Exit or "Red X"
>
> Now, navigate to this folder :
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>

> Copy and paste your new shortcut there
>
> Reboot...
>
> Your Task Manager should be in your SysTray, with a litt'e
> dashboard meter informing you of your CPU usage at a glance...
>
> Now, double-click your little icon...
>
> Click the "Processes" tab...
>
> You can click any of the column headers to re-arrange your
> processes. You can also click View | Select Columms...
> and pick the aspect(s) you wish to monitor. Most folks find
> that CPU Usage, Memory Usage, User Name are sufficient - however
> some like the Virtual Memory Size when they're selectively
> eliminating processes for a particular task. NOTE that it
> does not have a "default" per se, so you might want to keep
> a Notepad file on your adjustments - at least initially.
>
> Good luck.

By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
This is what I was looking for:
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
Thanks anyway

--

Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
promulgated this using news:Xns9BD9764C7C238BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:

> OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this
> using news:mCsyl.13491$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
>> running processes and keep them off until I use
>> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
>> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

> Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
> back on again."
>
> Some reason task manager does not work for you?

LOL! Or you could just try this:

http://soft.em-tnt.com/files/StartUp.exe

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akita...illusion01.jpg

Bucky Breeder

OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this using
news:dIuyl.22050$(E-Mail Removed):

> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
>> OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this
>> using news:mCsyl.13491$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
>>> running processes and keep them off until I use
>>> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
>>> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

>> Good luck.

> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
> This is what I was looking for:
> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
> Thanks anyway

Yeah, but have you tried this:

http://www.aricept.com/index.html

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akita...illusion01.jpg

OldGringo

Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
> OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this using
> news:dIuyl.22050$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
>> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
>>> OldGringo <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this
>>> using news:mCsyl.13491$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Good luck.

>> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
>> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
>> This is what I was looking for:
>> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
>> Thanks anyway

> Yeah, but have you tried this:
>
> http://www.aricept.com/index.html

LMAO

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

G. Morgan

Evan Platt wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:29:04 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass!

>And to take care of chucktard, you need to say you're removed and
>reseated every card / memory, and reset your BIOS to factory defaults.

Lol...

G. Morgan

OldGringo wrote:

>By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
>forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
>This is what I was looking for:
>http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
>Thanks anyway

I was going to suggest:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winpatrol.html

It does what you want plus more. I wouldn't run a personal machine without
it.