Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dpreview can be SOOOO funny sometimes

Dpreview can be SOOOO funny sometimes

RichA

Get the line in the statement below. "We managed to get our hands
on..." What B.S.! They make like it was some kind effort to do this
when we know Canon handed it to them for the massive positive
publicity they'll give it. It reminds me of those spam usenet posts
where someone says, "I just happened to come across this cool new
website."
Dpreview, just give us the facts, not the fairy story spin.

dpreview:
We've managed to get our hands on Canon's latest consumer-grade DSLR
and have been delving through the menus and scrutinizing its new
features. We've also gone out and shot a handful of real-world sample
images to show what it's capable of. So come in and meet the new
Rebel. (08:55 GMT)

Bob Larter

RichA wrote:
....his usual crap.

*plonk*

John McWilliams

Bob Larter wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> ...his usual crap.

> *plonk*

What took you so long?? .

I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken little
toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

--
John McWilliams

Kennedy McEwen

In article <gqdk89$ukv$(E-Mail Removed)>, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

Muhammed Ali?

Are you selling tickets? Even crippled by Alzheimer's he would still be
worth watching!
--
Kennedy

John McWilliams

Kennedy McEwen wrote:
> In article <gqdk89$ukv$(E-Mail Removed)>, John McWilliams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>
>> Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....
>>

> Muhammed Ali?
>
> Are you selling tickets? Even crippled by Alzheimer's he would still be
> worth watching!

Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....

I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
what a shock when he changed his name.

--
john mcwilliams

ASAAR

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:02:31 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

> Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....
>
> I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
> what a shock when he changed his name.

And I remember Sonny Liston* and what a mean phenom he was, and
what a shock it was when that Cassius butterfly flattened him.

* And Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky (M & G), Willie Pep**, Archie Moore
and others.

The real, original butterfly :

> Pep was likened to a tap dancer in boxing gloves. He was fast, he was agile, he was graceful. A Pep fight resembled a ballroom dance with one partner a masterful Fred Astaire and the other apparently lacking a single dance lesson. He was called the Will o' the Wisp because, like that illusive phenomenon, he was almost impossible to lay hands upon. By the age of 20 he had won 54 fights in a row without a loss before taking the featherweight title from future HOF fighter Chalky Wright in a bout in which he never once hurt Wright, but played him like a violin. More precisely, a Stradivarius. Willie would continue to win, losing only once in his next 49 fights (to future Hall of Famer Sammy Angot), before he would be matched against a Top Ten fighter with a 25-2 record named Jackie Graves on July 25th, 1945 in Minneapolis. Graves was a southpaw, and perhaps a sportswriter had hinted that it might cause Pep a problem. Or perhaps Willie was just in the mood to show them something they'd

never seen before. Whatever his motivation, prior to the start of the bout, Pep would make a prediction to rival any later made by Muhammed Ali; he would win a round without throwing a single punch.

> Not only that, but he would tell them up-front just which round to watch for it; round number three. Bert Sugar said of the audacious feat: "Pep tipped off a few friendly sportswriters that he would not throw a punch in anger in the third round.... Pep moved; Pep switched to southpaw, mocking Graves; Pep danced; Pep weaved; Pep spun Graves around and around again; Pep gave head feints, shoulder feints, foot feints, and feint feints. But Pep never landed a punch." The crowd at ringside sat in spellbound awe as Pep put on perhaps the greatest three minute demonstration on the art of boxing ever witnessed. In just 180 seconds he joined the ranks of those who had done some legendary act to fulfill a fearless prediction; the called-shot of Babe Ruth, the "We're gonna win, I guarantee it!" bravado of Joe Namath, and "They all will fall, in the round I call" predictions of Ali. Sportswriter Don Riley, who was ringside and forewarned of Pep's plan for the third round, said, "It was an

amazing display of defensive boxing skill so adroit, so cunning, so subtle that the roaring crowd did not notice Pep's tactics were completely without offense. He made Jim Corbett's agility look like a broken down locomotive. He made even Sugar Ray Robinson's fluidity look like cement hardening. Never has boxing seen such perfection!" He had fought the round without throwing a punch, but had he won it? Was his display so mesmerizing that even the keen eyed judges were beguiled? Pep knocked Graves down 9 times, ending the fight in the 8th round via TKO, but it wasn't the victory the ringside press were excited about; it was the score cards of the judges. When the cards were presented, there it was in black and white; Willie Pep had won the third round, the punchless round, on all three cards. The Will o' the Wisp had given boxing another legendary moment.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/williepep.html

Bob Larter

John McWilliams wrote:
> Bob Larter wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>> ...his usual crap.

>> *plonk*
>>

> What took you so long?? .

I'm reading Usenet with a new reader, so I'm having to recreate my
killfile again from scratch.

> I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken little
> toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

Oh yes, Noons. He & Doug make me embarrassed to be Australian.

> Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

Who?

ASAAR

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:33:40 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

>> http://www.eastsideboxing.com/williepep.html

> and then there was "The Real Rocky" Rocky Marciano, still the only
> heavyweight to have won every fight in his professional career.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

You bet. He was the 'M' in "Rocky (M & G)", and you can be sure
that the 'G' doesn't represent "Stallone". Anyway, I preferred
"The Harder They Fall", Bogey and all. Kinda lost interest after
Thomas "Hitman" Hearns flamed out. You might like this (I posted
the link here about 4 years ago) :

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/53/burtyoungiv.htm

tony cooper

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:54:25 -0400, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:02:31 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I guess he would be, but not as exciting as Ms. Larter....
>>
>> I'm old enough to remember Cassius Clay, and what a phenom he was, and
>> what a shock when he changed his name.

> And I remember Sonny Liston* and what a mean phenom he was, and
>what a shock it was when that Cassius butterfly flattened him.
>
>* And Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky (M & G), Willie Pep**, Archie Moore
>and others.

And, no doubt, the sponsor of the Friday Night Fights.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John McWilliams

Bob Larter wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> Bob Larter wrote:
>>> RichA wrote:
>>> ...his usual crap.

>>> *plonk*
>>>

>> What took you so long?? .

> I'm reading Usenet with a new reader, so I'm having to recreate my
> killfile again from scratch.
>
>> I can't bring myself to plonk anyone these days, even the drunken
>> little toad called noons, unfortunately, a compatriot of yours.

> Oh yes, Noons. He & Doug make me embarrassed to be Australian.
>
>> Now, if only I could get my hands on your cousin, Ali.....

> Who?

Ali Larter, actress. Not any where near my first choice from Phil
Swann's site, tv predictions. Ms. Berry is much more- everything.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hotberry052408.htm

I don't subscribe to his newsletter for the links to pretty actresses,
though....

--
John McWilliams