Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restricting file sharing on a home network

Restricting file sharing on a home network

Watcher of the Skies

I have a deskop Pc with win2000pro sp4 with the network name of w2k.

Attached to it is a 400gb USB drive designated H:/ to use as general storage
for the family.

In the household we also have a number of laptops. All connected to the same
workgroup.
Thier names on the network are:-
Chris-Vista
Chris-XP
Karen-XP
Garage-XP

I have created a folder on the H drive called H:/Public, and set it up as a
network drive (M:/) and to share and it is accessable to all users on the
network.

What I want to do now is set up each user to have their own private storage
area in folders (for instance H:/Chris, H:/Karen & H:/Garage) where they are
only accessable from the corresponding user.

Could someone guide me through what I need to do to allow each user have
their own folder on this drive or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

CHRiS

Mike Easter

groups trimmed to 24hshd

Watcher of the Skies wrote:

> I have created a folder on the H drive called H:/Public, and set it up
> as a network drive (M:/) and to share and it is accessable to all users
> on the network.
>
> What I want to do now is set up each user to have their own private
> storage area in folders (for instance H:/Chris, H:/Karen & H:/Garage)
> where they are only accessable from the corresponding user.
>
> Could someone guide me through what I need to do to allow each user have
> their own folder on this drive or point me in the right direction.

Share the drive and its folders. Have/Allow/Recommend each user to make a
(their own) password protected folder.

Is anyone liable to be a disk hog? Or is this a 'take whatever/ however
much/ you want/need' environment?

--
Mike Easter

Watcher of the Skies

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snipped>
> Share the drive and its folders. Have/Allow/Recommend each user to make a
> (their own) password protected folder.
>
> Is anyone liable to be a disk hog? Or is this a 'take whatever/ however
> much/ you want/need' environment?
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Intense privacy isnt really an issue as I doubt none of the family will put
anything too personal on this disc nor is disk hogging as it is really a few
family pics and the odd MP3 file we will be storring - 400gb plenty enough
for that. Its a case of ease of use and organisation. Can I restrict the
sharing of folders on the drive to access from list of named PCs on the
network - different list for each folder. I dont want my family users to
have to be confronted with umpteen passwords - they already need to sign
into an ID on the w2k PC to get access to the unrestricted public folder.