Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory

Aardvark

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:54:07 -0500, The Stone Crusher wrote:

> Thank you! I could not make sense of the other emails

Which emails? You've not mentioned any emails before.

larrylaundry@yahoo.com

thanatoid wrote:
> "Sky King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gq8n2e$er0$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual
> >>memory. I have partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is
> >>15GB - which I thought was big enough. Occasionally I also
> >>get a msg that I am running out of space on C:/

> <SNIP>
>
> > You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
> > run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
> > would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
> > vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
> > 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
> > defined) - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
> > for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
> > - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
> > (the one in the Windows folder) storage

> If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine.
> The OP does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless
> he has a lot more huge programs installed than the average
> person.

I've had 15 gigs with XP on the C: dive for years. I use it for the
operating system and a few programs that require
it to be installed in the C: drive. Still has plenty of space.

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke

"Sky King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gq8n2e$er0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual memory. I have
>>partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is 15GB - which I thought was big
>>enough. Occasionally I also get a msg that I am running out of space on
>>C:/
>>
>> I am running
>> XP Pro SP2
>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]

> Hi;
>
> You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than run just XP
> and nothing else. At least twice that amount would be a good starting
> point; more is better. While a vast over-simplification, consider this:
> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User
> defined)
> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Tmp storage (not the
> same as Temp above)
> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp (the one in the
> Windows folder) storage
> - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have RAM installed
> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for the Recycle Bin
> - Windows needs 12% of the available drive space for System Restore files
>
> There are some other items like the above, but those will do for this
> example. Taking your system as you describe it, that would be:
> 1.5 GB for Temp
> 1.5 GB for Tmp
> 1.5 GB for Temp (system)
> 2.0 GB for the swapfile
> 1.5 GB for Recycle Bin
> 1.8 GB for System Restore
> ----------------------------
> 9.8 GB just for the system to start working
>
> As I said, the above is an over-simplification, is based on x86 systems;
> but the basic tenet is sound. So even though Properties might show 10GB
> of free space on that 15GB drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to
> work with, on which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the
> above items can be user-configured to a smaller amount, doing so just
> forces the system to crawl along crippled.
>
> Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick the "Let Windows
> decide" method for allocating the swapfile (virtual memory storage).
>
> --
> ...Sky
> ====

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

>> Properties might show 10GB of free space on that 15GB
>> drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to work with, on
>> which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the
>> above items can be user-configured to a smaller amount,
>> doing so just forces the system to crawl along crippled.

> EXACTLY the opposite.
>
>> Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick
>> the "Let Windows decide" method for allocating the swapfile
>> (virtual memory storage).

> AOT 9x, XP DOES work better with "let Windows decide" (shudder).
>
> OP: Run a spyware/AV check on the ENTIRE drive.
> Scandisk and defrag C.
> Consider moving some stuff to other partitions.
> Empty browser and other cache/temp dirs every time you get off
> line.
>

> --
> "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke

"hwf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gq90lp$j1p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanatoid wrote:
>> "Sky King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:gq8n2e$er0$(E-Mail Removed):
>>> "The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:49c7d4e2$0$5927$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> You need more than 15 GB, assuming you wish to do more than
>>> run just XP and nothing else. At least twice that amount
>>> would be a good starting point; more is better. While a
>>> vast over-simplification, consider this: - Windows needs
>>> 10% of the available drive space for Temp storage (User defined) -
>>> Windows needs 10% of the available drive space
>>> for Tmp storage (not the same as Temp above)
>>> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive space for Temp
>>> (the one in the Windows folder) storage

>> If the user s totally clueless and can not maintain his machine. The OP
>> does NOT appear totally clueless. 15GB is plenty unless he has a lot more
>> huge programs installed than the average person.
>>
>>> - Windows needs at least as much free HD space as you have
>>> RAM installed

>> Where the hell did you get THAT from?
>>
>> - Windows needs 10% of the available drive
>>> space for the Recycle Bin

>> HUH????? You should a) almost never use it b) EMPTY IT every time you see
>> it's got something in it.
>>
>> - Windows needs 12% of the
>>> available drive space for System Restore files

>> If you fall into that insane scheme instead of just setting up your C
>> drive right and imaging it. Anyway, 12% of 15GB is what, 1.8 GB?
>>
>>> There are some other items like the above, but those will
>>> do for this example. Taking your system as you describe it,
>>> that would be: 1.5 GB for Temp
>>> 1.5 GB for Tmp
>>> 1.5 GB for Temp (system)
>>> 2.0 GB for the swapfile
>>> 1.5 GB for Recycle Bin
>>> 1.8 GB for System Restore
>>> ----------------------------
>>> 9.8 GB just for the system to start working
>>>
>>> As I said, the above is an over-simplification, is based on
>>> x86 systems; but the basic tenet is sound.

>> No it, is image. Or in this case, a mirage.
>>
>>> So even though
>>> Properties might show 10GB of free space on that 15GB
>>> drive, in reality you only have about 5GB to work with, on
>>> which to install non-OS software, etc. And while all the
>>> above items can be user-configured to a smaller amount,
>>> doing so just forces the system to crawl along crippled.

>> EXACTLY the opposite.
>>> Once you have XP on a considerably larger partition, pick
>>> the "Let Windows decide" method for allocating the swapfile
>>> (virtual memory storage).

>> AOT 9x, XP DOES work better with "let Windows decide" (shudder).
>>

> Depends on the amout of physical ram you have instaled.
> I set me pops old w98 Celeron machine to use no swap and use the ram
> instead. But its has 300mb of ram in it...
> Fast as hell now
>
> ^_^
>

> --
> http://www.palindeception.com/
> http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:diRxl.112890$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:28:49 -0500, The Stone Crusher wrote:
>
>> I keep getting msgs that do not have enough virtual memory. I have
>> partitioned the disk so that Disk C:/ is 15GB - which I thought was big
>> enough. Occasionally I also get a msg that I am running out of space on
>> C:/
>>

> Double-click on 'My Computer'. Highlight your 'C' drive. Look at the
> little pie chart that appears at the bottom left of the window.
>
> Come back here and post what the figures on the pie chart say.
>
>> I am running
>> XP Pro SP2

> SP3 has been out for quite some time.
>
>> [Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 795MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM]
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Goodwill,

> Hunting.
>
>> Luke

> Aardvark
>

> --
> The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
> of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
> Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:20:41 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> Goodwill,

>>Hunting.

> lol.. What was that game show, where they'd give you a word, you have
> to come up with the next word that starts with the letter given, and
> each one would make a two word phrase, ie
>
> CHECK
> BOOK
> CLUB
> CARD
> etc..
>
> But they'd give you CHECK and then B and you'd have to come up with
> Book, then C and you'd have to come up with Club.. Maybe we could
> start something like that here

The Stone Crusher

Thanks
Luke