Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless modem Can I?

Wireless modem Can I?

Theslaz

Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main
desktop to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a
wireless card. I don't know if the modem has a second port for another
computer to be hard wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet ) I
have two laptops that I'm presently using the wireless for.

Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive
and send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

Jack-MVP

Hi
To share one Internet connection between few computers you need One modem
and a Wireless Router.
You have to explain better what you call Wireless modem is?
If it is a Wireless Modem/Router and there are wire ports on it, you can
connect computers with wire as well.
Usually it would look like this (in the following the Modem and the Router
are two boxes in your case it probably would be one box).
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main desktop
> to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a wireless card. I
> don't know if the modem has a second port for another computer to be hard
> wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet ) I have two laptops that
> I'm presently using the wireless for.
>
> Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
> wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive and
> send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

John

If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and you're
getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The easy answer
is:

- Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
- Connect your current wireless router to the modem

You can then continue using your current wireless router.

John wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and you're
> getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The easy answer
> is:
>
> - Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
> - Connect your current wireless router to the modem
>
> You can then continue using your current wireless router.
>
> "Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main desktop
>> to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a wireless card. I
>> don't know if the modem has a second port for another computer to be hard
>> wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet ) I have two laptops that
>> I'm presently using the wireless for.
>>
>> Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
>> wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive and
>> send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

Sounds like what I'll do. Didn't realize one could disable the
"Wireless" feature on a wireless modem! Like I said; I don't have it
yet; just trying to make sure I know what I'll have to do to get all my
computers working. ( not that cheap; would buy a wireless card if I had to )

Jack-MVP

Hi
Some Wireless Routers can be used as a client Wireless card (can not tell
you about yours cause I do not know what it is).
If you just continue to use the current Wireless Router as the Wireless
source, you have to change its configuration, otherwise you would have
Double NAT and other troubles.
Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Unfortunately it is hard to give comprehensive solution with skimpy info.
BTW, Good Wireless cards are Not expensive,

Jack-MVP wrote:
> Hi
> Some Wireless Routers can be used as a client Wireless card (can not
> tell you about yours cause I do not know what it is).
> If you just continue to use the current Wireless Router as the Wireless
> source, you have to change its configuration, otherwise you would have
> Double NAT and other troubles.
> Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> Unfortunately it is hard to give comprehensive solution with skimpy info.
> BTW, Good Wireless cards are Not expensive,
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> John wrote:
>>> If I understand you correctly, you already have a wireless router and
>>> you're getting another wireless router/modem combo from your ISP. The
>>> easy answer is:
>>>
>>> - Disable wireless feature on the new wireless modem
>>> - Connect your current wireless router to the modem
>>>
>>> You can then continue using your current wireless router.
>>>
>>> "Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Sounds like what I'll do. Didn't realize one could disable the
>> "Wireless" feature on a wireless modem! Like I said; I don't have it
>> yet; just trying to make sure I know what I'll have to do to get all
>> my computers working. ( not that cheap; would buy a wireless card if I
>> had to )

Router is a D-Link D1-624. I'm in Canada; can't get those cheap prices
on electronics up here. If I buy American; I get nailed with high
shipping costs! Can get a good one for %50.00 at the local Memory
Express store. Thats what I'll do if I can't configure something else.

Theslaz

Jack-MVP wrote:
> Hi
> To share one Internet connection between few computers you need One
> modem and a Wireless Router.
> You have to explain better what you call Wireless modem is?
> If it is a Wireless Modem/Router and there are wire ports on it, you can
> connect computers with wire as well.
> Usually it would look like this (in the following the Modem and the
> Router are two boxes in your case it probably would be one box).
> http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP. I can hard wire my main
>> desktop to the modem; however; my second computer does not have a
>> wireless card. I don't know if the modem has a second port for another
>> computer to be hard wired. I suspect not. ( don't have the modem yet )
>> I have two laptops that I'm presently using the wireless for.
>>
>> Question is. Being the cheap sucker that I am; can I use my present
>> wireless router ( which I won't need )on my second computer to receive
>> and send? I suspect not; but anything is possible!

I thought a wireless modem was just that. Hard wired to the source and
sends out a signal to how many computers you want. No need for a router.
Except my two desktops don't have wireless cards; presently they are
hard wired. The two laptops are wireless.

Jack-MVP

Hi
Sorry but the D-Link line of 802.11g Wireless Routers can not be configured
(or Flashed with 3rd party firmware) to act as a Wireless client card.
I.e you would have to buy a new Wireless card or use a wired port.

> Jack-MVP wrote:
>> Hi
>> Some Wireless Routers can be used as a client Wireless card (can not tell
>> you about yours cause I do not know what it is).
>> If you just continue to use the current Wireless Router as the Wireless
>> source, you have to change its configuration, otherwise you would have
>> Double NAT and other troubles.
>> Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
>> Unfortunately it is hard to give comprehensive solution with skimpy info.
>> BTW, Good Wireless cards are Not expensive,
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Theslaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Sounds like what I'll do. Didn't realize one could disable the
>>> "Wireless" feature on a wireless modem! Like I said; I don't have it
>>> yet; just trying to make sure I know what I'll have to do to get all my
>>> computers working. ( not that cheap; would buy a wireless card if I had
>>> to )

> Router is a D-Link D1-624. I'm in Canada; can't get those cheap prices on
> electronics up here. If I buy American; I get nailed with high shipping
> costs! Can get a good one for %50.00 at the local Memory Express store.
> Thats what I'll do if I can't configure something else.

Jack-MVP

Hi
It depends on the Model, all of them have at least one wired port, some have
four wired ports.
All of them have at least One wire port since counting on Router's
configuration through a Wireless connection is risky.

Frankster wrote:
>> Getting a new Wireless modem from my ISP.

> Qwest calls a cellular USB Wireless card adapter (carrier's own native
> cell signal) a "wireless modem".
>
> Exactly what are you getting from your ISP?
>
> -Frank

Got my new modem yesterday. Thursday. It can be used as a wireless; a
modem that is hard wired or both. Working great. Got everything under
control.

Thanks for everyones info/replies.