Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File Sharing/Network problems

File Sharing/Network problems

bizymom333

I’m having file sharing/connection problems. I have 4 computers (3
wireless) set up on the same Windows workgroup, all running VCOM System Suite
7 (firewall/anti-virus) and Network Magic is also installed on all 4.
Computer #1 is hard-wired to a Linksys WRT55AG router and is running XP Home
SP3. Computer #2 is running XP Pro SP3 and connects via Linksys Wireless-G
PCI Adapter. Computer #3 is also running XP Pro SP3 and connects via D-Link
WDA-1320 Desktop Adapter. Computer #4 is a laptop running Vista Home
Premium SP1 and connects via Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. Only computers 1
and 2 have shared printers attached. All 4 computers can connect to the
internet without problem. Computers 1 & 4 can access all computers and both
printers. Computer 2 can access computer 1 and both printers as well as
computer 4. Computer 3 can access computer 1 and printer and also computer
4. The problem is connecting computers 3 & 4 (the only 2 running XP Pro!).
They see each other on the windows network and in Network Magic, but are both
“inaccessible” to each other. Nothing I’ve tried has worked. Please help!

John Wunderlich

=?Utf-8?B?Yml6eW1vbTMzMw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Im having file sharing/connection problems. I have 4 computers
> (3 wireless) set up on the same Windows workgroup, all running
> VCOM System Suite 7 (firewall/anti-virus) and Network Magic is
> also installed on all 4. Computer #1 is hard-wired to a Linksys
> WRT55AG router and is running XP Home SP3. Computer #2 is running
> XP Pro SP3 and connects via Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter.
> Computer #3 is also running XP Pro SP3 and connects via D-Link
> WDA-1320 Desktop Adapter. Computer #4 is a laptop running Vista
> Home Premium SP1 and connects via Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG.
> Only computers 1 and 2 have shared printers attached. All 4
> computers can connect to the internet without problem. Computers
> 1 & 4 can access all computers and both printers. Computer 2 can
> access computer 1 and both printers as well as computer 4.
> Computer 3 can access computer 1 and printer and also computer 4.
> The problem is connecting computers 3 & 4 (the only 2 running XP
> Pro!).

Confusing. Earlier you said that computer 4 was running Vista... and
in the sentence before, you state that Computer 3 can access [...]
computer 4.

> They see each other on the windows network and in Network
> Magic, but are both “inaccessible” to each other. Nothing
> I’ve tried has worked. Please help!

Verify that Simple File Sharing is enabled on the XP Pro machines...
Double-click any folder -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab ->
Last checkbox at the bottom.

HTH,
John

bizymom333

My bad. I meant 2 and 3 aren't connecting. Originally Simple File Sharing
was enabled on both and it didn't work. Then I read somewhere else to
disable it on both and that didn't work either.

Jack-MVP

Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx>
Windows XP File Sharing -
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040>
Printer Sharing XP -
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"bizymom333" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I’m having file sharing/connection problems. I have 4 computers (3
> wireless) set up on the same Windows workgroup, all running VCOM System
> Suite
> 7 (firewall/anti-virus) and Network Magic is also installed on all 4.
> Computer #1 is hard-wired to a Linksys WRT55AG router and is running XP
> SP3. Computer #2 is running XP Pro SP3 and connects via Linksys
> Wireless-G
> PCI Adapter. Computer #3 is also running XP Pro SP3 and connects via
> D-Link
> WDA-1320 Desktop Adapter. Computer #4 is a laptop running Vista Home
> Premium SP1 and connects via Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. Only computers 1
> and 2 have shared printers attached. All 4 computers can connect to the
> internet without problem. Computers 1 & 4 can access all computers and
> both
> printers. Computer 2 can access computer 1 and both printers as well as
> computer 4. Computer 3 can access computer 1 and printer and also
> computer
> 4. The problem is connecting computers 3 & 4 (the only 2 running XP
> Pro!).
> They see each other on the windows network and in Network Magic, but are
> both
> “inaccessible” to each other. Nothing I’ve tried has worked. Please
> help!

bizymom333

My firewall is configured correctly.