Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: A More Traditional Look

Re: A More Traditional Look

Dudley Hanks

Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...

Here's the corrected link:
http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> Background and expression still need work, but I think the lighting is not
> too bad for a shepherd portrait. But, hey, you be the judge...
>
> How's the focus? I switched to Quick focus mode,, and it sounds like it's
> a bit more predictable than the contrast type used in the Live View focus
> option.
>
> Portrait of Mich:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....h-bw-small.jpg
> (quick loading BW)
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....aitMich-bw.jpg (full
> size BW)
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
> (quick loading colour)
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ich-colour.jpg
> (full size colour)
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....rtraitMich.cr2
>
> Now, if I could just get those snow shots to turn out...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C5EBAB43.25461%(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 3/21/09 11:16 PM, in article DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83, "Dudley
> Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
>>
>> Here's the corrected link:
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
>>

> Now that I look at the color version, maybe not more general fill, but
> something to give a catchlight in that left eye...

When I was converting the RAW file to colour, I used the Canon software to
sharpen the image a bit. I'm not sure if that made much of a difference.

I think I'll try two approaches. First, I'll try the reflector and see if
that helps pick up the brightness in that eye without lightening up the
shadows too much. If that evens things up too much, I'll try just bringing
the flash up a bit higher and more over to his left side. Hopefully that
will put a bit of sparkle in his eyes. (Assuming they're fully open...)

Thanks George.

Take Care,
Dudley

Justin C

In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
>
> Here's the corrected link:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg

I don't like that one, or the B&W version. The half-closed eyes make him
look a bit angry... but I'm nervous of dogs anyway, so I'd *really* not
go near him!

I just noticed your spelling of colour, I'm guessing you're British. Out
of interest, which area's public transport were you riding in the shot
of Mitch on the bus?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Dudley Hanks

"Justin C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
>>
>> Here's the corrected link:
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg

> I don't like that one, or the B&W version. The half-closed eyes make him
> look a bit angry... but I'm nervous of dogs anyway, so I'd *really* not
> go near him!
>
> I just noticed your spelling of colour, I'm guessing you're British. Out
> of interest, which area's public transport were you riding in the shot
> of Mitch on the bus?
>
> Justin.

Yeah, Mich's expression wasn't the best. I spent a fair bit of time trying
to get the flash and exposure the way I wanted it, and then clicked a few
shots. Mich had been snoozing before I took the picks, and I guess he
wasn't quite awake yet. When my wife got home and told me he looks "sick"
in the pic, I was a bit disappointed, but I'll try again another day when
he's been running around beforehand, so he'll look a bit perkier.

Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken here,
in Edmonton.

However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon Tyne
(spelling?). She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
the old cathedrals.

Take Care,
Dudley

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>,
"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
>
> Here's the corrected link:
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
>

> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> > Background and expression still need work, but I think the lighting is not
> > too bad for a shepherd portrait. But, hey, you be the judge...
> >
> > How's the focus? I switched to Quick focus mode,, and it sounds like it's
> > a bit more predictable than the contrast type used in the Live View focus
> > option.
> >
> > Portrait of Mich:
> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....h-bw-small.jpg
> > (quick loading BW)
> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....aitMich-bw.jpg (full
> > size BW)
> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
> >
> > (quick loading colour)
> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ich-colour.jpg
> > (full size colour)
> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....rtraitMich.cr2
> >
> > Now, if I could just get those snow shots to turn out...
> >
> > Take Care,
> > Dudley

I like the dark red background caused by differing white balance. As
for the composure - maybe move one inch farther back. That's probably
the right distance for a person but Mitch's snout is too close to the
camera. It looks huge. I think the facial shadows are fine. You could
lighten then or darken them for a different look but it would still be a
good photo.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.

Dudley Hanks

"Kevin McMurtrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49c86305$0$95515$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <DYixl.18040$Db2.9671@edtnps83>,
> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just can't seem to get a post out without a typo in at least one link...
>>
>> Here's the corrected link:
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
>>

>> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > Background and expression still need work, but I think the lighting is
>> > not
>> > too bad for a shepherd portrait. But, hey, you be the judge...
>> >
>> > How's the focus? I switched to Quick focus mode,, and it sounds like
>> > it's
>> > a bit more predictable than the contrast type used in the Live View
>> > focus
>> > option.
>> >
>> > Portrait of Mich:
>> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....h-bw-small.jpg
>> > (quick loading BW)
>> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....aitMich-bw.jpg
>> > (full
>> > size BW)
>> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....lour-small.jpg
>> >
>> > (quick loading colour)
>> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....ich-colour.jpg
>> > (full size colour)
>> > http://www.photography.dudley-hanks....rtraitMich.cr2
>> >
>> > Now, if I could just get those snow shots to turn out...
>> >
>> > Take Care,
>> > Dudley
>> >

> I like the dark red background caused by differing white balance. As
> for the composure - maybe move one inch farther back. That's probably
> the right distance for a person but Mitch's snout is too close to the
> camera. It looks huge. I think the facial shadows are fine. You could
> lighten then or darken them for a different look but it would still be a
> good photo.
>
> --
> I will not see your reply if you use Google.

Thanks for the feedback, Kevin. Mich's muzzle is a bit big, so any tip on
how to minimize it's impact are definitely appreciated. I was concentrating
on not chopping off his ears, so I didn't pay enough attention to that area.
I'll pay more attention to that part next time.

Take Care,
Dudley

Justin C

In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:

> Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
> spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken here,
> in Edmonton.

Nice part of the world, eh?

> However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon Tyne
> (spelling?).

It's usually hyphenated Newcastle-upon-Tyne (and IIRC they use a lower-case 'u' for upon).

> She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
> there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
> the old cathedrals.

*You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Dudley Hanks

"Justin C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>
>> Re: my spelling of colour, I'm actually from Canada. We use the British
>> spelling -- well, most of us do. The pic of Mich on the bus was taken
>> here,
>> in Edmonton.

> Nice part of the world, eh?
>

>> However, my wife is from the northern part of England, Newcastle Upon
>> Tyne
>> (spelling?).

> It's usually hyphenated Newcastle-upon-Tyne (and IIRC they use a
> lower-case 'u' for upon).
>

>> She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
>> there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
>> the old cathedrals.

> *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
> out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
> rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
> here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
> give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.
>
> Justin.

We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can (Vancouver
/ Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is always greener --
more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence (pond).

BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

Take Care,
Dudley

John McWilliams

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Justin C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <t3Rxl.18225$Db2.6803@edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks wrote:

>>> She's told me a lot about the area, and we hope to go back
>>> there and take some pics in the Lake District, Dudley Castle, and some of
>>> the old cathedrals.

>> *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
>> out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
>> rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
>> here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
>> give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

> We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can (Vancouver
> / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is always greener --
> more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence (pond).
>
> BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
> taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
> jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

You might also be able to time it with the annual draining and painting
of the lake bed at Lake Louise.......

--
John McWilliams

Dudley Hanks

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gqdj91$rvf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> "Justin C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> *You* want to come to *England* for the lakes? May I suggest you step
>>> out of your front door and head *west*. On the horizon are some pointy
>>> rocks, if you get that far you'll find much better lakes than we have
>>> here... that said, the Lakes do have their own beauty... but you can
>>> give me the Rockies any day. I have fond memories of Jasper and Banff.

>> We holiday in the Rockies every year, going as far west as we can
>> (Vancouver / Victoria). It's one of those things where the grass is
>> always greener -- more photogenic -- on the other side of the fence
>> (pond).
>>
>> BTW, any plans to return to Banff / Jasper? If you've ever thought of
>> taking some whale pics, there are some really incredible whale watching
>> jaunts that run out of several west coast cities...

> You might also be able to time it with the annual draining and painting of
> the lake bed at Lake Louise.......
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Sorry, John, they don't drain and paint anymore. They've got a new system:
a plastic liner is fitted in place once every 5 years by dozens of tiny
submersables...

It's more economical and environmentally friendly, since the plastic gets
recycled after it's pulled...

Take Care,
Dudley