Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cant get router (DHCP) to allocate ip

Cant get router (DHCP) to allocate ip

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
"automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
assign manual but it wont work.

I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

BobC

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:14:01 -0700, marc wrote:

> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

Did you reinstall the driver fo rthe network card? Ids the XP firewall
blocking your access?

Clark

The help and support section says that XP tries to do a normal DHCP IP
address configuration. If the DHCP server can't be reached, after 60
seconds it goes to the alternate configuration tab and does that.

You may already know this, but I have seen other folks with the same message
and did not know why. So it seems your Wireless card is not communicating
with the Router. As Bob said, can you think of anything blocking the
communication? Are you using MAC filtering, do you have a good signal, do
you have enough addresses available for one to be assigned? Any firewalls
in place?

Have you tried changing your laptop's address to see if it will redo the
DHCP? Try changing the range of addresses the DHCP server will give out,
which will force it to redo.

If you can't assign a manual IP address, try setting the alternate
configuration to whatever manual IP address and such and see if it will pick
that up. Of course, if it does, that means it is still not communicating
with the DHCP server.

I might try later to disable by DHCP server to see what happens.

Clark

Are there any logs you could check to see if something is showing up?
"marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> ideas

Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
>ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
>in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>"automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
>assign manual but it wont work.
>
>I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
>something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

Did you specify the right wireless network settings (SSID, encryption
type, encryption key) on the laptop's wireless connection?
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Clark

Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
(Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.

Clark

"marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> ideas

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

"Clark" wrote:

> Well, I tried it and if I disabled my DHCP server, I got one of the Private
> IP address notations. I did not get it until I had released and renewed the
> IP addresses for the connection. I then set in the alternate configuration
> tab an IP address that I knew was part of my workgroup and the assignment
> worked. If my first post shows up, you will know what I am referring to.
> (Network connections, properties, tcp/ip,properties, Alternate
> configuration.) If nothing else you should be able to reach your router.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> > the
> > ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> > fresh
> > in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> > "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> > assign manual but it wont work.
> >
> > I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> > something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> > ideas

Hi guys thanks for the replys.
I have turned off windows firewall but this makes no difference
I have checked the wireless config, and the netgear connects (go green) to
indicate that all ssid and wep are correct but still it wont pick up dhcp.
I have tried to renew etc but this wont work either and also re booted the
gateway but this stills does not work, then lep top gets the info but the pc
wont. I have tried the reg edit to disable windows assigning ip but this
aslo fails. cant think what can be blocking the incoming dhcp. even when i
put all the right info into a manual connection it looks like its connected
but the connection does not work cant even ping the gateway

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as soon
as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??

"marc" wrote:

> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain the
> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a fresh
> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried to
> assign manual but it wont work.
>
> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt be
> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any ideas

Clark

What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the router
have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
may be a conflict between more than one firewall.

Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the router
when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security settings
that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the router,
unless you have locked out that machine somehow.

Clark

"marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
> accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as
> soon
> as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
> connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
> this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??
>
> "marc" wrote:
>
>> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
>> the
>> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
>> fresh
>> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
>> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
>> assign manual but it wont work.
>>
>> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
>> be
>> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
>> ideas

=?Utf-8?B?bWFyYw==?=

I have 2 routers 1st is a modem router usr and the second is a wireless
router netgear wgt624. both routers have firewalls on etc. I have mac
filtering and wep security. This was the setup before i rebuilt my system.
now after i have rebuilt the system no security measure will work at all. I
have tried with just mac and wep security and still no joy. the pc wont pick
up the dhcp from the router with security and b4 it did, i do think the
problem is sp2 related as i have never had this problem when i rebuild my
systema and this is the first time I used a sp2 disk to rebuild my system

"Clark" wrote:

> What security settings in the router are you turning off? Does the router
> have a built-in firewall? Are you using WEP or WAP or 802.1x? Are you
> using MAC filtering? If you turn off the security settings in the router
> and the system works, then SP2 is not the cause, it is the router. There
> may be a conflict between more than one firewall.
>
> Leave your computer with a known good IP address and try pinging the router
> when you change something. If you are hardwired, the only security settings
> that could effect the connection would be a built-in firewall in the router,
> unless you have locked out that machine somehow.
>
> Clark
>
> "marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > if i turn off all my security settings in the router i can get the pc ao
> > accept dhcp as is assigned an ip and can connect to the internet, but as
> > soon
> > as i put back on security (in the router) i go back to limited or no
> > connection and the ip is assigned by xp. ant ideas what could be causing
> > this I think it has to be sp2 problem ??
> >
> > "marc" wrote:
> >
> >> just rebuilt my pc and i cant get the wireless card to acceept or obtain
> >> the
> >> ip from the router which acts as dhcp. all was working until i did a
> >> fresh
> >> in stall and my laptop is still working. what i get in is address type
> >> "automatic private address" so the pc is assigning the ip. I have tried
> >> assign manual but it wont work.
> >>
> >> I have a wireless netgear card wg311t, and a netgear router. there muxt
> >> be
> >> something in the fress install of xp pro sp2 which is blocking this any
> >> ideas

Clark

Maybe someone else will know, but SP2 added a built in Windows firewall. I
don't remember if you tried turning that off, but it appears from what you
say that there may be 3 firewalls now between you and the internet. If that
is the case, it seems a little excessive. The Windows Firewall settings are
in the Control Panel.

Clark