Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Need to occasionally "repair" connection

Need to occasionally "repair" connection

I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable internet
via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when I wake my XP
Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the lid), I cannot connect to
the internet.

During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to "still" be
connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet connection.

Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT occur when I
return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live with it
as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I could do to find
the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a "repair", the popup
window tells me that if this keeps happening I should contact my network
administrator. In my case that person is "me" so I have no one to call
about it <grin>.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

I forgot to add that I connect with this laptop to the internet via a router
used as a WAP. This router is connected by cable to "the" router that is
actually connected to the cable modem.

I suspect that may be the problem. I did this as a way of increasing my
available network range.

Jeff

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable internet
> via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when I wake my XP
> Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the lid), I cannot connect
> the internet.
>
> During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to "still"
> be
> connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet connection.
>
> Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT occur when I
> return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live with it
> as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I could do to find
> the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a "repair", the popup
> window tells me that if this keeps happening I should contact my network
> administrator. In my case that person is "me" so I have no one to call
> about it <grin>.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jeff

Jack-MVP

Hi
Look at the Wireless card configuration menu, and try the Power save option.
Make sure that it allows to wake on traffic, or take it out of the Power
Saving loop and keep it On all the time.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable internet
> via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when I wake my XP
> Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the lid), I cannot connect
> the internet.
>
> During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to "still"
> be
> connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet connection.
>
> Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT occur when I
> return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live with it
> as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I could do to find
> the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a "repair", the popup
> window tells me that if this keeps happening I should contact my network
> administrator. In my case that person is "me" so I have no one to call
> about it <grin>.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jeff

Thank you.

Jeff

Jack-MVP wrote:
> Hi
> Look at the Wireless card configuration menu, and try the Power save
> option. Make sure that it allows to wake on traffic, or take it out
> of the Power Saving loop and keep it On all the time.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable
>> internet via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when
>> I wake my XP Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the
>> lid), I cannot connect to
>> the internet.
>>
>> During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to
>> "still" be
>> connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet
>> connection. Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT
>> occur when
>> I return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live
>> with it as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I
>> could do to find the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a
>> "repair", the popup window tells me that if this keeps happening I
>> should contact my network administrator. In my case that person is
>> "me" so I have no one to call about it <grin>.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Jeff

I tried what you suggested (kept it alive all the time) but it made no
difference. So I switched it back.

Could my problems be from my using a second router as a WAP (I described it
above)? If so anything else I can try?

Jeff

Jack-MVP wrote:
> Hi
> Look at the Wireless card configuration menu, and try the Power save
> option. Make sure that it allows to wake on traffic, or take it out
> of the Power Saving loop and keep it On all the time.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable
>> internet via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when
>> I wake my XP Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the
>> lid), I cannot connect to
>> the internet.
>>
>> During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to
>> "still" be
>> connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet
>> connection. Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT
>> occur when
>> I return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live
>> with it as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I
>> could do to find the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a
>> "repair", the popup window tells me that if this keeps happening I
>> should contact my network administrator. In my case that person is
>> "me" so I have no one to call about it <grin>.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Jeff

Jack-MVP

Hi
The second Router that is used as a WAP should be configured like this,
Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
If the first Router is Wireless too, try to set the Routers so that each one
works on another channel (like set one with channel One and the other with
Eleven).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a WPA secured wireless network that connects to Cox cable internet
> via a router. Works fine. But _every now and then_, when I wake my XP
> Media Center laptop from "Standby" (by lifting the lid), I cannot connect
> the internet.
>
> During these times, the icon on the taskbar shows the wireless to "still"
> be
> connected, but I need to do a "Repair" to restore my internet connection.
>
> Most of the time the loss of internet connection does NOT occur when I
> return from standby, so this is not a major problem and I can live with it
> as I have for years, but I wonder if there is something I could do to find
> the cause and stop it from happening. When I do a "repair", the popup
> window tells me that if this keeps happening I should contact my network
> administrator. In my case that person is "me" so I have no one to call
> about it <grin>.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Jeff

Thank you again.