Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [ANN] lxml 2.2 released

[ANN] lxml 2.2 released

Stefan Behnel

Hi all,

I'm proud to announce the release of lxml 2.2 final.

http://codespeak.net/lxml/
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/2.2

Changelog:
http://codespeak.net/lxml/changes-2.2.html

What is lxml?
==============

lxml is the most feature-rich and easy-to-use library for working with XML
and HTML in the Python language. It's also amongst the fastest and most
memory friendly XML tree libraries for Python.

lxml is a pythonic, mature binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
that provides safe and convenient access to these libraries using the
ElementTree API. It extends the ElementTree API significantly to offer
support for XPath, RelaxNG, XML Schema, XSLT, C14N and much more.

This release
=============

This is a major new, stable and mature release that takes over the stable
2.x release series. All previous 2.x releases are now officially out of
maintenance.

It includes a large number of bug fixes and improvements that make lxml 2.2
a lot more robust than the previous 2.1 and older releases. It is therefore
generally worth upgrading (and it should not be too hard to do that).

This release was built with Cython 0.11 final and supports Python 2.3
through 3.1 alpha1.

Have fun,
Stefan

python@bdurham.com

Stefan,

Is it possible to use the same install of lxml across multiple versions
of Python, eg. I have 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 3.0 installed on my workstation
- can I use a single copy of lmxl for 4 versions of Python?

My understanding is that we can replace our use of elmentree and
htmlparser with lxml.

Congrats on your latest release!

Thank you,
Malcolm

Stefan Behnel

> Is it possible to use the same install of lxml across multiple versions
> of Python, eg. I have 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, and 3.0 installed on my workstation
> - can I use a single copy of lmxl for 4 versions of Python?

It would be interesting to have some more information about your intentions
here.

In general, the answer is no. It's a C extension which gets compiled
against the C-API of Python. You will quickly run into unresolved symbols
when you try using a binary module that was compiled against one Python
version in a different Python version.

However, it's built using exactly the same sources on all platforms, and
you only need to keep separate copies of the binary modules. The rest are
Python modules that are not platform specific. Also, the dependencies
(libxml2 and libxslt) do not depend on Python but only on the operating system.

> My understanding is that we can replace our use of elmentree and
> htmlparser with lxml.

Yes, although the API of HTMLParser is different from lxml's own HTML
parser and tree interface (which is basically trivial).

> Congrats on your latest release!

Thanks!

Stefan

lxml 2.0 released Stefan Behnel Python 0 02-01-2008 06:47 PM
lxml and SimpleXMLWriter Srijit Kumar Bhadra Python 2 07-06-2006 05:49 PM
[ANN] lxml 1.0 released Stefan Behnel Python 2 06-03-2006 12:32 PM
[ANN] lxml 0.9 is out! Stefan Behnel Python 0 03-20-2006 08:17 PM
ANN: MathDOM 0.5.2 - MathML in Python - now featuring lxml API! Stefan Behnel Python 0 10-17-2005 09:30 AM

Advertisments