Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: speech recognition help

Re: speech recognition help

Tim Chase

> do u know which one
> 1. cmu sphinx
> 2. natural speaking
> 3. windows sapi
>
> is best ( in accuray and speed ) for predefined vocabulary.. and worth for
> learning as well.?

For a pre-defined vocabulary, they should all be pretty good. In
general (for non-predefined vocabularies), I've heard that NS
beats both Sphinx and SAPI in terms of recognition quality. I
haven't seen any comparisons between Sphinx and SAPI.

Other considerations may also come into play:

- do you expect all your users to have a copy of NS? Then you
might have to look into something other than NS if they won't.
Or perhaps NS has a developers' toolkit that allows for
redistribution when built into your app.

- do you expect all your users to run Windows (as I type this
from my Linux box...)? If not, then SAPI won't be available to
your Mac/Linux/BSD/BeOS/Amiga/whatever users.

- do you need TTS (text-to-speech) capabilities as well? SAPI
includes them. (there are other TTS libraries available such as
mbrola/festival that are available for this if needed)

- how easy is it to bind to Python? Sphinx has Python bindings
detailed on the website. I can't speak for NS or SAPI.

- how much time/money do you have to invest? Sphinx is
open-source and free. SAPI is free-ish for developers, but I
don't know if Microsoft incurs a licensing cost for distributed
apps or other redistribution restrictions. I can't speak for
NS-for-developers.

Just a few thoughts,

-tkc

Java Speech Recognition IFlyJava Java 1 03-25-2005 04:34 PM
speech recognition tab missing Eli Aran Computer Support 3 12-19-2004 07:31 PM
Speech recognition system in VHDL? - ideas or resources? David VHDL 2 11-02-2004 02:36 AM
JAVA SPEECH RECOGNITION Pak_indo Java 2 09-26-2004 05:48 AM
Can anyone suggest a good headset/mic for chat and speech recognition for less than $30? Jeff M. Ingram Computer Support 0 01-19-2004 10:52 PM

Advertisments