Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Line above text field in IE

Line above text field in IE

Clayburn

I have a form with a text field. I added it to a website already
designed by a previous company. Eventually I'll redesign the entire
site, but for now I need to get this to work. However, in IE, there
is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. You can see the
difference in Firefox and IE. It works fine in Firefox.

Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.
>
> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. It's http://www.gelbcenter.com

richard

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
>> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
>> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
>> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
>> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
>> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

>Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. It's http://www.gelbcenter.com

Why are you insisting on using tables for this?
Two simple divisions would be better.
Then I would suggest a navigation bar across the top instead of that
outdated, ignorant enter button.

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 1:26*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
> >> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
> >> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
> >> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
> >> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
> >> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.

> >> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

> >Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. *It'shttp://www.gelbcenter.com

> Why are you insisting on using tables for this?
> Two simple divisions would be better.
> Then I would suggest a navigation bar across the top instead of that
> outdated, ignorant enter button.

I didn't design it. It was designed before I got here. I need to
tweak it some to add a few features and keyword optimization and
whatnot. The form on the front page is one feature I need to add.
But it disrupts the current design in IE. I'm going to be redesigning
it, but in the meantime I need to make some changes to the current
site, so I have to work with what's there. I don't want to redo it
entirely just to add the form since I'll be trashing the current
design once the new one is up and running anyway.

I just need a fix to keep it from screwing up in IE. It works fine in
Firefox.

richard

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:29:43 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 20, 1:26*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. *It'shttp://www.gelbcenter.com

>> Why are you insisting on using tables for this?
>> Two simple divisions would be better.
>> Then I would suggest a navigation bar across the top instead of that
>> outdated, ignorant enter button.

>I didn't design it. It was designed before I got here. I need to
>tweak it some to add a few features and keyword optimization and
>whatnot. The form on the front page is one feature I need to add.
>But it disrupts the current design in IE. I'm going to be redesigning
>it, but in the meantime I need to make some changes to the current
>site, so I have to work with what's there. I don't want to redo it
>entirely just to add the form since I'll be trashing the current
>design once the new one is up and running anyway.
>
>I just need a fix to keep it from screwing up in IE. It works fine in
>Firefox.

Sure it looks fine until you increase the text size.
Use divisions and set the CSS in em's.
Then the division will change height with the text size increase.

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 1:50*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:29:43 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 20, 1:26*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Why are you insisting on using tables for this?
> >> Two simple divisions would be better.
> >> Then I would suggest a navigation bar across the top instead of that
> >> outdated, ignorant enter button.

> >I didn't design it. *It was designed before I got here. *I need to
> >tweak it some to add a few features and keyword optimization and
> >whatnot. *The form on the front page is one feature I need to add.
> >But it disrupts the current design in IE. *I'm going to be redesigning
> >it, but in the meantime I need to make some changes to the current
> >site, so I have to work with what's there. *I don't want to redo it
> >entirely just to add the form since I'll be trashing the current
> >design once the new one is up and running anyway.

> >I just need a fix to keep it from screwing up in IE. *It works fine in
> >Firefox.

> Sure it looks fine until you increase the text size.
> Use divisions and set the CSS in em's.
> Then the division will change height with the text size increase.

What should I do about IE? How can I get rid of the extra space?
They sliced an image for the table background, so it's important that
they line up correctly.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
>> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
>> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
>> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
>> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
>> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

>Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. It's http://www.gelbcenter.com

I just realized that the line might be coming from the fact the "form"
is not inside the area it's supposed to be in. If you could move that
up a line or two, that should help.

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 2:42*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
> >> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
> >> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
> >> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
> >> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
> >> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.

> >> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

> >Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. *It'shttp://www.gelbcenter.com

> I just realized that the line might be coming from the fact the "form"
> is not inside the area it's supposed to be in. If you could move that
> up a line or two, that should help.

The problem is the <form method="post" action="../php/formmail2.php">
If I remove it, it's fine. But I need that for the form to work. So
where should I put it?

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 2:42*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mar 20, 12:59*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I have a form with a text field. *I added it to a website already
> >> designed by a previous company. *Eventually I'll redesign the entire
> >> site, but for now I need to get this to work. *However, in IE, there
> >> is a line before the text field and as a result, the tables get messed
> >> up, creating a bunch of extra space between tables. *You can see the
> >> difference in Firefox and IE. *It works fine in Firefox.

> >> Can someone tell me how best to fix this in IE?

> >Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. *It'shttp://www.gelbcenter.com

> I just realized that the line might be coming from the fact the "form"
> is not inside the area it's supposed to be in. If you could move that
> up a line or two, that should help.

Okay, I think I got it. The problem is for some reason the </form>
creates an extra line. So I put the <form> begin tag and hidden
inputs right after the body tag, and the closing form tag right before
the closing body tag. So, basically the form is the entire page, so
the extra line(s) created by it are above and blow the content.

How's it look?

Clayburn

On Mar 20, 2:56*pm, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2:42*pm, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >Sorry, I forgot to put the URL. *It'shttp://www.gelbcenter.com

> > I just realized that the line might be coming from the fact the "form"
> > is not inside the area it's supposed to be in. If you could move that
> > up a line or two, that should help.

> Okay, I think I got it. *The problem is for some reason the </form>
> creates an extra line. *So I put the <form> begin tag and hidden
> inputs right after the body tag, and the closing form tag right before
> the closing body tag. *So, basically the form is the entire page, so
> the extra line(s) created by it are above and blow the content.
>
> How's it look?

Well, great. Now the form isn't working.