Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Stuff I never thought about much....

Re: Stuff I never thought about much....

why?

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:53:03 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

>I've been using the internet for longer than I can remember, but I don't
>think I ever gave serious thought to just how the signals are
>transmitted around the world.
>
>When I read this recent Popular Science magazine article I was shocked,
>schocked to learn how many undersea fiber optic cables are employed to
>carry internet traffic and how often they are damaged and require repair.
>
>Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did:
>
>http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...otects-intrnet

This is the site I usually keep an eye on as we have users in remote
office in some of these areas.

http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=undersea+cables

Most likely covered in the link you posted.

Three simultaneously cut undersea cables under repair
Traffic disrupted between Europe and Middle East
By Dan Goodin Monday 22 Dec 2008 20:07

Egypt offline for weekend after Med seabed cables cut
French robot gropes bottom
By Lewis Page Monday 22 Dec 2008 09:49

Dubai impounds cable slicing ships
Satellite images used to ID Gulf cable miscreants
By Lewis Page Monday 14 Apr 2008 10:02

Cable cutter nutters chase underwater conspiracies
Plumbing the depths
By Dan Goodin Thursday 7 Feb 2008 01:57
The failure of four undersea cables in less than a week is stoking
suspicions that saboteurs want

Submarine cable cut torpedoes Middle East access
Web slowdown hits India, Pakistan too
By John Oates Wednesday 30 Jan 2008 17:02

Fishermen Sea DOS Vietnam
Oops, were you guys using that?
By Austin Modine Thursday 7 Jun 2007 21:41
Vietnam telecom officials estimate it will take at least a month and
cost over $5.84m to fix damaged undersea fiber-optic cables stolen by
fishermen for salvage.

Me