Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Stopped Working

Network Stopped Working

=?Utf-8?B?eHRyZW1lbWp5?=

I have 2 computers. I have a desktop connected to a Linksys router and a
laptop connected wirelessly to the router. My network has been working fine
for a couple years now, and recently it is kind of weird. Both of my
computers can see each other, and I can used shared folders if I manually
type in the filepath. This means when I run the networking wizard and browse
the other computer won't expand and won't show its shared folders (yes, the
shared files are put on shared). So basically I have to hack to each of my
computers to get the files. (I set both of my firewalls off for my network).
Recenly, the network only works and network printers only work if both
computers are on. Before, I could share files and listen to music on one of
the computers when one was off regardless of which computer I am using. I
tried installing the network multiple times and even tried hooking my laptop
up with an ethernet cable to the router, and it still won't work. I have
tried help and support and read other posting but they didn't really help.
How can I fix this? Thanks.

Clark

So if you go to My network places and click on "View Workgroup computers"
you see the other computers, but clicking on them won't open up any shared
folders? If you can't see the other computer, maybe your workgroup name was
changed on one of them or something else was changed. There may be a
situation where you have old, out of date, shares so they won't work. Maybe
refreshing or redoing them would have an effect.

"Before, I could share files and listen to music on one of
the computers when one was off regardless of which computer I am using."

This sounds a little strange, do you mean your internet connection is down
if you turn off one computer? You can't share files with another computer
if it isn't running, so what were you sharing files with beside the
internet? It almost sounds like you have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
turned on.

SP2 added some things like the Windows firewall, so it may be affecting your
connections.

Clark

news:(E-Mail Removed)...