Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > why don't you move on to something?

why don't you move on to something?

Barry Schwarz

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 19:41:57 +0000, Richard Heathfield
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Barry Schwarz said:
>
><snip>
>
>> There is already too much garbage in this newsgroup.

>That's what killfiles are for.

They are barely effective when others keep responding to the off topic
detritus.

--
Remove del for email

luser-ex-troll

On Mar 19, 6:43*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi,
> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

We choose to do these things not because they are easy,
but because they are hard.

user923005

On Mar 19, 7:28*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
> simply flamebait.
>
> On Mar 19, 6:43*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > i'm assuming that most people here use c
> > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> > are there any good reasons to stick with c?

> There are good reasons to stick with C. *There are also good reasons
> to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
> sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.
I would not write a database in Java (though people have).
I would not write weather calculation or seismic calculation programs
in Java (though people have).
But if I needed to write a very portable user interface that runs on
Windows and Linux and Solaris and AIX and OpenVMS etc. Java would be
pretty hard to beat.
Mono is beta on Posix, in my opinion.

> No one language is universally better at everything than every other
> language. *There are application domains where C is still the best
> answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
> best answer.

There are domains where the only choices are C and assembler. I would
probably choose C in those circumstances.

Richard Bos

user923005 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 7:28=A0am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> > There are good reasons to stick with C. =A0There are also good reasons
> > to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
> > sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

> If you need something with a standardized GUI that works almost
> everywhere, Java is pretty hard to beat.

s/works almost/almost works/, TYVM.

Richard