Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect 1.0.1 - Python Database Interface

ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect 1.0.1 - Python Database Interface

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg

ANNOUNCING
eGenix.com mxODBC Connect

Python Database Interface

Version 1.0.1

Our new client-server product for connecting Python applications
to relational databases - from all major platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/e...-1.0.1-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to
easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the
market today in a highly portable and convenient way.

Unlike our mxODBC Python extension, mxODBC Connect is designed
as client-server application, so you no longer need to find production
quality ODBC drivers for all the platforms you target with your Python
application.

Instead you use an easy to install Python client library which
connects directly to the mxODBC Connect database server over the
network.

This makes mxODBC Connect the ideal basis for writing cross-platform
database programs and utilities in Python, especially if you run
applications that need to communicate with databases such as MS SQL
Server and MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix, Sybase
ASE and Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more,
that run on Windows or Linux machines.

By removing the need to install and configure ODBC drivers on the
client side, mxODBC Connect greatly simplifies setup and
configuration of database driven client applications, while at
the same time making the network communication between client and
database server more efficient and more secure.

For more information, please see the product page:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

NEWS

mxODBC Connect 1.0.1 is a patch-level release of our new mxODBC Connect
product.

* More Robust

We have made the client and server more robust in case of communication
failures. Even if the client applications fail to shutdown the server
connection before exiting, the server will free up resources used by the
client on the server side and rollback transactions as necessary.

* More Platform Support

With the 1.0.1 release we are also providing much better platform
support for the mxODBC Connect Client: we have fixed a problem in 1.0.0
that prevented the installation of the pre-built clients on non-Linux
systems.

The mxODBC Connect Client can now be installed on most platforms
supported by Python, since it is written in a platform independent,
portable way.

The pre-built archives also make it possible to integrate the clients
into build system such as buildout (used in Zope and Plone) or other
distutils-based deployment systems.

* Ideal for Building Bridges

As a result, connecting from e.g. Mac OS X to an SQL Server database
has never been easier. You can even keep the data sources you already
have configured on your Windows machine and connect to them as if your
application were running on the database server itself.

UPGRADING

You are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC Connect release.
When upgrading, please always upgrade both the server and the client
installations to the same version - even for patch level releases.

Customers who have purchased mxODBC Connect 1.0 licenses can download
and upgrade their existing installations without having to purchase
new licenses or upgrades. The licenses will continue to work with
version 1.0.1.

Users of our stand-alone mxODBC product will have to purchase new
licenses from our online shop in order to use mxODBC Connect.

You can request 30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site
or writing to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), stating your name (or the name of the
company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.

http://www.egenix.com/products/pytho...ct/#Evaluation

DOWNLOADS

The download archives as well as instructions for installation and
configuration of the product can be found on the product page:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

Evaluation licenses for the server part are available free of
charge:

http://www.egenix.com/products/pytho...ct/#Evaluation

The client part of mxODBC Connect is always free of charge.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.

Please see

http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

Enjoy,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Mar 19 2009)

http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/