Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Blank line....painful

Blank line....painful

Clayburn

Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
it up and updating it some.

One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
table cells.

Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
figure this one out?

C A Upsdell

Clayburn wrote:
> Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
> and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
> redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
> it up and updating it some.
>
> One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
> It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
> welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
> table cells.
>
> Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm
>
> I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
> adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
> figure this one out?

What browser? Which version?

I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good. There
is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
the page title and the page content.

Clayburn

On Mar 18, 11:52*pm, C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Clayburn wrote:
> > Okay, so I'm working on this website. * It was done "professionally"
> > and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. *We'll likely be
> > redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
> > it up and updating it some.

> > One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
> > It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
> > welcome title. *You can see a break in the background images of the
> > table cells.

> > Check it out here: *http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

> > I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
> > adjusting heights. *Can't seem to get it to go away. *Can anyone
> > figure this one out?

> What browser? * Which version?
>
> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good. *There
> is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
> makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
> the page title and the page content.

I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
the trees, just below the animated logo.

rf

Clayburn wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Clayburn wrote:
>>> Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
>>> and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
>>> redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
>>> it up and updating it some.

>>> One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
>>> It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
>>> welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
>>> table cells.

>>> Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

>>> I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
>>> adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
>>> figure this one out?

>> What browser? Which version?
>>
>> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
>> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
>> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
>> between the page title and the page content.

> I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
> Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
> years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
> I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
> the trees, just below the animated logo.

See the little faint "Block" button there? This if firefox asking you if you
wish to block that flas animation. It inserts an <a> element to do this.
This is pushing the next block down a bit.

You will see the same but more noticable effect if you increase your font
size quite a bit, so the fax number falls below the flash.

Which idiot sliced the background image into little bits and put them in
different block elements? Join it back together and use it as a background
for the entire table.

I just noticed the tables. Do not expect fixed sized background images in
different cells to line up when content of unknown size is put in the cells.

rf

Clayburn wrote:
> On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Clayburn wrote:
>>> Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
>>> and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
>>> redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
>>> it up and updating it some.

>>> One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
>>> It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
>>> welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
>>> table cells.

>>> Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

>>> I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
>>> adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
>>> figure this one out?

>> What browser? Which version?
>>
>> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
>> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
>> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
>> between the page title and the page content.

> I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
> Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
> years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
> I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
> the trees, just below the animated logo.

Just noticed the same thing happens with IE. In this case it'll be something
like

</flash>

Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of the table
cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even though the
drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE will still resize
that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.

Same solution applies.

Kiran Makam

On Mar 19, 9:01*am, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just checked it in IE and it's fine. *The problem occurs in
> Firefox. *It's not that noticeable. *They've had it the same for two
> years and nobody's said anything. *But it just really annoys me and
> I'd like to fix it if I can. *It's just a light break in the images of
> the trees, just below the animated logo.

Your logo swf height is 134px but the TD containing the swf is having
a rendered height of 138px. May be spaces between tags inside TD is
causing this extra height. Remove space between embed and closing
object tag
-------
<embed....></object>
--------
If this does not help remove all spaces between tags inside TD and
try.

- Kiran Makam

Kiran Makam

On Mar 19, 9:01*am, Clayburn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just checked it in IE and it's fine. *The problem occurs in
> Firefox. *It's not that noticeable. *They've had it the same for two
> years and nobody's said anything. *But it just really annoys me and
> I'd like to fix it if I can. *It's just a light break in the images of
> the trees, just below the animated logo.

Your logo swf height is 134px but the TD containing the swf is having
a rendered height of 138px. May be spaces between tags inside TD is
causing this extra height. Remove space between embed and closing
object tag
-------
<embed....></object>
--------
If this does not help remove all spaces between tags inside TD and
try.

- Kiran Makam

richard

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:01:35 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mar 18, 11:52*pm, C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Clayburn wrote:
>> > Okay, so I'm working on this website. * It was done "professionally"
>> > and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. *We'll likely be
>> > redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
>> > it up and updating it some.

>> > One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
>> > It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
>> > welcome title. *You can see a break in the background images of the
>> > table cells.

>> > Check it out here: *http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

>> > I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
>> > adjusting heights. *Can't seem to get it to go away. *Can anyone
>> > figure this one out?

>> What browser? * Which version?
>>
>> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good. *There
>> is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
>> makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
>> the page title and the page content.

>I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
>Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
>years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
>I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
>the trees, just below the animated logo.

They paid for that piece of trash?
While the output may look good, the coding sucks royally.
Who the sam hell in their right minds codes in xhtml then relies on
tables for display?

I didn't see your problem right away until I enlarged the text and
then all kinds of strange things happen.

Dude, scrap the code and rewrite it.
It would appear that some idiot decided to position the navigational
links so that when text is enlarged, they stay put. I don't think I've
ever seen text do that inside a table before.

When you're done, charge the idiots double what they paid for it to
begin with.

Clayburn

On Mar 19, 12:48*am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Clayburn wrote:

> >> What browser? Which version?

> >> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
> >> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
> >> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
> >> between the page title and the page content.

> > I just checked it in IE and it's fine. *The problem occurs in
> > Firefox. *It's not that noticeable. *They've had it the same for two
> > years and nobody's said anything. *But it just really annoys me and
> > I'd like to fix it if I can. *It's just a light break in the images of
> > the trees, just below the animated logo.

> Just noticed the same thing happens with IE. In this case it'll be something
> like
>
> </flash>
>
> Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of the table
> cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even though the
> drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE will still resize
> that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.
>
> Same solution applies.

I like the idea of putting the image back together. I may do that.
But right now it's 1:00 am and I don't feel like doing anything that
requires work. I was hoping I could just delete or add some minor
code somewhere to fix it. I don't get what you mean by the </flash></
td> stuff. Are you saying it may be fixable by putting one or both of
those somewhere?

rf

Clayburn wrote:
> On Mar 19, 12:48 am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Clayburn wrote:

>> Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of
>> the table cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even
>> though the drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE
>> will still resize that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.
>>
>> Same solution applies.

> I like the idea of putting the image back together. I may do that.
> But right now it's 1:00 am and I don't feel like doing anything that
> requires work. I was hoping I could just delete or add some minor
> code somewhere to fix it. I don't get what you mean by the
> </flash></ td> stuff. Are you saying it may be fixable by putting
> one or both of those somewhere?

</object>
<!-- #EndEditable --></td>The whitespace between </object> and
of that (except the comment) into a single space. That is the space that is
causing the problem.Use </object></td> but you probably can't because of
your template.