Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python equivalent of java technologies

python equivalent of java technologies

Armin

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 15:14:30 markolopa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
> she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
> technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
> equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
> solutions?
>
> - persistance framework (~hibernate)
> - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
> (message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)
> - web openess sur le web (web service)
> - RIA and web deployable graphic library
> - scheduling (quartz)
> - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)
> - reporting (Jasper)
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Marko

You could tell her to try Jython. In that, you can just use the Java
implementations. Plus, you have things in Jython that Java doesn't

--
Armin Moradi

Armin

On Thursday 19 March 2009 07:45:01 Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Armin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > You could tell her to try Jython. In that, you can just use the Java
> > implementations. Plus, you have things in Jython that Java doesn't
> >
> > --
> > Armin Moradi
> > --

> Exactly. Her challenges to find stuff have to do with the JVM, not Java the
> language. Python runs on the JVM.

Indeed, afaik, Jython produces Java byte-code.

--
Armin Moradi

markolopa

Hello,

When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
solutions?

- persistance framework (~hibernate)
- transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
(message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)
- web openess sur le web (web service)
- RIA and web deployable graphic library
- scheduling (quartz)
- secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)
- reporting (Jasper)

Thanks a lot!
Marko

Mike Driscoll

On Mar 18, 1:14*pm, markolopa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
> she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
> technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
> equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
> solutions?
>
> - persistance framework *(~hibernate)
> - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
> (message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)

See SqlAlchemy (or any DB_API module like adodb.py or pymssql),
SqlObject, Dabo for DB stuff. See PubSub for one type of messaging:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pubsub/1%20to%203

> - web openess sur le web (web service)

Python supports lots of web services. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we.../ws-pyth1.html
http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

It also has lots of web frameworks, such as Django, TurboGears,
Pylons, Web2Py, Plone/Zope

Maybe this: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nss...ython-schedule

> - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)

I assume this is supposed to be "security". TurboGears can probably do
this:

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/Rough...IDWithIdentity

If you do some Googling, it looks like Django does too...

> - reporting (Jasper)

reportlab?

> Thanks a lot!
> Marko

Alternatively, you could also use Jython, which can just use the Java
implementations...

Mike

Tim Hoffman

Hi

Well zope has quite a few of these out of the box and have been around
for a bit longer than some of the java options.

Specifically persistence (ZODB persistence in zope is pretty much
completely autmomatic)
you can inplement web services with it (xmlrpc out of the box, though
I assume you mean soap)
zope encompasses security/ and authentication and can easily be
integrated with a range of single signon environments.
there are a range of scheduling services in to, but which is most like
quartz I am not sure about.
zope does support distributed transactions, but I not XA , but is
ACID.

In general there are a heap of interfaces for python do different
message queues/buses, take you pick of you favourite platform.

Not sure about reporting that is equivalent to jasper.

On Mar 19, 3:14*am, markolopa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
> she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
> technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
> equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
> solutions?
>
> - persistance framework *(~hibernate)
> - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
> (message system, DB) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X/Open_XA)
> - web openess sur le web (web service)
> - RIA and web deployable graphic library
> - scheduling (quartz)
> - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)
> - reporting (Jasper)
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Marko

Tim Hoffman

Oops ,

for RIA there is always pyjamas (gwt for python