Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer for Video editing

Computer for Video editing

slats1

Hey there,
I need a new computer for video editing with
Premier 6 or Avid. Can anyone give
me some specs on what I need in a fast powerful computer. I'm not
going to build one, but I'd like to know what to look for. Hard drive
size, processor, graphics card, sound card, etc.
Thanks alot,,,Much appreciated !! Steve

Paul

slats1 wrote:
> Hey there,
> I need a new computer for video editing with
> Premier 6 or Avid. Can anyone give
> me some specs on what I need in a fast powerful computer. I'm not
> going to build one, but I'd like to know what to look for. Hard drive
> size, processor, graphics card, sound card, etc.
> Thanks alot,,,Much appreciated !! Steve
> (E-Mail Removed)

An example here.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/certified_sys.php?sys_id=87

Quad core processors are quite common. They help, as long
as the software is multithreaded (and figuring that out,
from the software web site, won't be easy).

The Core i7 is the latest from Intel. The Core2 Quad
is the previous generation. The Core i7 has the
advantage that its memory controller is right on the
processor, and is three channels. On a Core2 Quad
core system, the memory controller is on the chipset,
and is dual channel. AMD also makes processors with
onboard memory controllers - they're dual channel.
And the AMD processors occupy the middle to low
end of the performance scale. The Intel ones offer
higher performance options than AMD - for a price.

DDR2 memory is used on systems, where the user wants
their memory for really cheap. DDR3 memory costs more
for the same quantity of memory. The Core i7 only comes
in DDR3 flavor, so you're stuck buying DDR3 for it. The
Core i7 takes three or six sticks of DDR3 RAM. You can
start with three sticks if you want, and 3x1GB is fine
to start.

The rest of the guts in the computer, can be swapped
out if you don't like them. They unplug with relative
ease, and you can replace them later.

The computer should come with a relatively high capacity
of power supply, if you ever intend to buy a high
end video card. They opted for a Corsair 650W power
supply above, which should handle most upgrades you could
think of. Many prebuilt computers (HP/Dell/Acer/Gateway)
come with wimpy supplies, so using a machine from
them as a base, might require an upgrade at some
point. If you build (or have someone build a system
for you), they can put something decent in the box
for you from day one.

In the example system above, they opted for a relatively
low cost (throw away) video card as the default (9600GT).
The Quadro boards have outrageous pricing, but what you
get with those is certified OpenGL drivers. Some editing
packages may use OpenGL when doing stuff - check your
software to see if it needs or can use such video cards.
It is even possible some day, that rendering will use
the GPU of the card, as a source of computing power
(acceleration). The throw away card is plenty to
start with when the editing software does everything
with the CPU, until you become more experienced
(or richer). The software will be flexible enough, that
if a Quadro is not present, the editing suite will still
work. And the Core i7 has plenty of horsepower
for interactive work.

For sound, most motherboards come with basic sound
connectors. They may support 7.1 audio via four
connectors. If the motherboard has a total of six
connectors, you'll have a line in and microphone input
at your disposal as well. Motherboard audio may not
have a very good noise floor, if, for some reason,
you needed to record from the microphone input jack.
For playback, the motherboard audio is fine.

A card here would likely have a better noise floor,
but for video editing, I don't see a reason to be
recording via microphone level signals. If you
plan on playing computer games on the computer
as well, then a Creative brand card would be better
for that (i.e. Soundblaster). The following cards might be
used for an amateur recording studio.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...=PCIinterfaces

You probably have some idea how many megabytes per
second, your video camera captures. Modern compressed
formats don't have too high a rate. You can get your
new computer (with its small drives), and experiment
with your new editing software. Do a 1 hour movie, then
note how much storage was needed. When you're ready for
serious work, you can buy additional 1TB (10**12 bytes) or
1.5TB drives, and install them internally or externally
in an enclosure, if you think you'll have a lot of footage.
External drives should always have a fan on the enclosure
for cooling - that helps give them a long life. Some
prepackaged external drives don't have fans. For internal
drive bays, the computer already has fans for cooling
them.

One of these can be used for downloading content from a
camera with HDMI on it. Cameras with HDMI would be the
larger ones, the kind a news crew might carry around
town. Not your wimpy handycam for shooting your
friend's wedding.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Other cameras will have Firewire (IEEE1394) or USB2
interfaces, and a decent computer should come with
some of both. You can also add Firewire ports with an
add-in PCI card, if the computer lacks such a port.

For further help, you can also post in

rec.video.desktop

and someone there can tell you what they bought.

In terms of suppliers, starting with a HP/Dell/Acer/Gateway
can result in a relatively poor experience, due to the
things they do to the computer, to make their lives
simpler (no real Windows installer CD, small power supply,
cheesy motherboard). If you go to a small supplier that
specializes in video, all too many of them will charge you
$5000 for a "bucket of bolts with gold plated connectors".
Somewhere in between those two extremes, is your
next editing computer

This is an example of an "off-the-shelf" Core i7. The
video card is part of the cost, and is something a
gamer would appreciate. The OS is Vista, which might not
play nice with your editing tools (do your research on
that, before you buy). Still, this is less than $5000
to get started.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/produ....php#techspecs

Paul