Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Webcam in browser

Webcam in browser

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
suggestions for:

a) Freebies
b) Pay stuff
c) Pointers to DIY

Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
downloading and installing progs (assuming their JRE is up to date)

--
Dirk

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image.

Try JMF.

I think Knute Johnson's site also has some nice examples,
though I cannot recall if they use(/need) JMF.
<http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/>

> Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
> downloading and installing progs

An applet is a 'prog' and when a user visits the page, it
is downloaded and 'installed' insofar as the user does not
flush the class cache.

If you add archives of other classes or natives into the applet
element in the HTML, they will likewise be downloaded and
'installed'.

So it would seem that 'Java cannot do this' if you stick
strictly to your conditions, but if you can widen them that far,..

>..(assuming their JRE is up to date)

Big assumption. It is usually better to use a script like
deployJava.js of a JRE version check applet before assuming
anything about the version of a user's JRE (or its presence).

--
Andrew T.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
>> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image.

> Try JMF.
>
> I think Knute Johnson's site also has some nice examples,
> though I cannot recall if they use(/need) JMF.
> <http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/>
>
>> Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
>> downloading and installing progs

> An applet is a 'prog' and when a user visits the page, it
> is downloaded and 'installed' insofar as the user does not
> flush the class cache.
>
> If you add archives of other classes or natives into the applet
> element in the HTML, they will likewise be downloaded and
> 'installed'.
>
> So it would seem that 'Java cannot do this' if you stick
> strictly to your conditions, but if you can widen them that far,..
>
>> ..(assuming their JRE is up to date)

> Big assumption. It is usually better to use a script like
> deployJava.js of a JRE version check applet before assuming
> anything about the version of a user's JRE (or its presence).
>
> --
> Andrew T.

Thanks.
BTW, I seem to recall reading somewhere that JMF is being phased out in
favour of something else. Not too sure - is my impression correct?
Right now I'm testing stuff with this neat bit of shareware.
http://www.theill.com/conquercam/

--
Dirk

Knute Johnson

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
> suggestions for:
>
> a) Freebies
> b) Pay stuff
> c) Pointers to DIY
>
> Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
> downloading and installing progs (assuming their JRE is up to date)

I've got a Java application that uses JMF to grab an image from a
camera. I'm using the Windows command line ftp client to send the data
to my website. You didn't specify if you were using Windows or Linux.
I have not tested it on Linux for a couple of reasons, one I was never
able to get JMF to work with Linux, and two, I didn't have Linux camera
drivers.

You are welcome to the source to my application, just send me an email.
The code is several years old and you may have to fiddle with it to
get it to work with your camera.

As to JMF, Sun has not updated JMF in many years. Version 7 is supposed
to have replacements for some of JMF's features. Unfortunately, the
release of version 7 has been pushed out again to early 2010. In the
last article I saw, there was no mention of the media enhancements to
version 7.

http://hamletdarcy.blogspot.com/2008...inhold-at.html

So I don't know if they are still in there or not. This is a
significant shortcoming of Java but I'm not sure that it will be
corrected any time soon.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2009/

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > Try JMF.

> BTW, I seem to recall reading somewhere that JMF is being phased out in
> favour of something else.

Not true. JMF is entirely obsolete, though Sun refuses to
make any acknowledgment of that. Of course, it was a 'complex
and complete' API when it was released, but time goes by, and
is was not updated with newer codec's and formats.

Of course, if your app. can use older formats, that is no problem.

--
Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > > On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > > ...JMF is being phased out in

> > favour of something else.

That would be JMC - Java Media Components
in Java 7.

--
Andrew T.

Knute Johnson

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> favour of something else.

> That would be JMC - Java Media Components
> in Java 7.
>
> --
> Andrew T.

Andrew:

Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute2009/

Roedy Green

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:53:31 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
said :

>Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
>USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
>suggestions for:

see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#NETWORKCAM
it is free, open source.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"In the central North Pacific, plastic outweighs surface zooplankton 6 to 1."
~ Thomas M. Kostigen

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Knute Johnson wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> That would be JMC - Java Media Components
>> in Java 7.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew T.

> Andrew:
>
> Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?

I assume then that it doesn't currently exist?
If so, what do people do who want to code multimedia apps?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:53:31 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>
>> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
>> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
>> suggestions for:

> see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#NETWORKCAM
> it is free, open source.

Thanks.
Right now I'm producing kluged demos to impress the impressible. But
having got that out the way I'll do it properly

--
Dirk