Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What's up with the Adobe site not responding?

What's up with the Adobe site not responding?

thanatoid

For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
matter which of my 3 browsers I use.

I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
connect to everything else.

Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

Thanks.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Evan Platt

On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
>Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
>matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
>
>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
>connect to everything else.
>
>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

Assuming you use XP / Windows:

Start, Run, cmd <Enter>

ping adobe.com
Results?
ping www.adobe.com
Results?

telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>
You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all uppercase, and you
won't see what you're typing:
GET /<Enter><Enter>
That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.

You should then see HTML 'Code'

What's the results of the above?

thanatoid

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
>>the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
>>no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
>>
>>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
>>connect to everything else.
>>
>>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
>
> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
>
> ping adobe.com
> Results?

request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes

> ping www.adobe.com
> Results?

same

also tried the numerical, same result.

> telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>

Box says: Could not open connection to...

> You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all
> uppercase, and you won't see what you're typing:
> GET /<Enter><Enter>
> That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.
> You should then see HTML 'Code'
> What's the results of the above?

Box says: Could not open connection to...

Also tried FTP... Nothing.

Is it worth trying opendns? I hate signing up for things I will
never use, and I don't think it will make a difference in THIS
situation.

Thanks for trying to help. If you have any more ideas, let me
know.
I am not in the US nor in fact in any country even remotely
deserving the name of "normal", but I have always been able to
connect to everything, and I still can - except adobe AND
macromedia - tried that too, although I believe mm is now owned
by A, they kept the URL's.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

thanatoid

Update:

Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
addresses, nothing.

I am totally baffled.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Sunny

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| Update:
|
| Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
| addresses, nothing.
|
| I am totally baffled.

The Asia Pacific site is OK :
http://www.adobe.com/ap/

thanatoid

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:%xIvl.29112$(E-Mail Removed):

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| Update:
>|
>| Tried GRC's IDServe, nothing. Tried whois and checked the ip
>| addresses, nothing.
>|
>| I am totally baffled.
>
> The Asia Pacific site is OK :
> http://www.adobe.com/ap/

Thanks for checking, but it's no go from here. I think it's the
same server farm anyway, since the basic address is the same.

If it was www.asia.adobe.com, it /might/ be a different thing.

It doesn't REALLY matter but I just hate mysteries.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Mike Easter

thanatoid wrote:
> For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to the
> Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com) no
> matter which of my 3 browsers I use.

Adobe http://www.adobe.com/ is currently up. There is no news posting of
any difficulty nor that I could see in the forum for Reader
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b2e6/

Answering at

Initiating server query ...
Looking up IP address for domain: www.adobe.com
The IP address for the domain is: 192.150.18.101
Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
[Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
The server returned the following response headers:
<snip http>

--
Mike Easter

Desk Rabbit

thanatoid wrote:
> Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
>>> the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
>>> no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
>>>
>>> I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
>>> connect to everything else.
>>>
>>> Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

>> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
>>
>> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
>>
>> ping adobe.com
>> Results?

> request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes
>
>> ping www.adobe.com
>> Results?

What is the result from:
nslookup www.adobe.com

Evan Platt

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:44:59 GMT, "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The Asia Pacific site is OK :
>http://www.adobe.com/ap/

Ummm www.adobe.com/ap is Adobe US.

Evan Platt

On 17 Mar 2009 06:25:15 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On 17 Mar 2009 05:08:24 GMT, thanatoid
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>For about 3 weeks or so I have not been able to connect to
>>>the Adobe site (I assume/recall/believe it's www.adobe.com)
>>>no matter which of my 3 browsers I use.
>>>
>>>I do not have a hosts file, so it's not my computer. I can
>>>connect to everything else.
>>>
>>>Anyone have ANY idea what's going on here?

>> Assuming you use XP / Windows:
>>
>> Start, Run, cmd <Enter>
>>
>> ping adobe.com
>> Results?

>request timed out, repeats that line a few times then closes
>
>> ping www.adobe.com
>> Results?

>same
>
>also tried the numerical, same result.
>

>> telnet www.adobe.com 80<Enter>

>Box says: Could not open connection to...
>
>> You should see a blank blinking cursor - type - all
>> uppercase, and you won't see what you're typing:
>> GET /<Enter><Enter>
>> That's GET <Space>SLASH <Enter><Enter>.
>> You should then see HTML 'Code'
>> What's the results of the above?

>Box says: Could not open connection to...
>
>Also tried FTP... Nothing.
>
>Is it worth trying opendns? I hate signing up for things I will
>never use, and I don't think it will make a difference in THIS
>situation.
>
>Thanks for trying to help. If you have any more ideas, let me
>know.
>I am not in the US nor in fact in any country even remotely
>deserving the name of "normal", but I have always been able to
>connect to everything, and I still can - except adobe AND
>macromedia - tried that too, although I believe mm is now owned
>by A, they kept the URL's.

As Desk Rabbit says, what does nslookup adobe.com say?