Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Updated Networking Tutorials?

Updated Networking Tutorials?

=?Utf-8?B?UGFycm90?=

Hi guys,
I have been trying to set up a wireless, ad hoc network in my home between a
desktop PC and a laptop, both running win XP home and hoping to be able to
access the internet on the laptop via the Broadband modem attached to the
desktop.
I have been using this page from Barb Bowman.....
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi

Unfortunately, it seems to be out of date or relating to an earlier version
of XP because the references and pictures don't match what happens on my PC
screens.
For instance, she has a picture with "wireless Network connection
Properties" and there are 4 tabs across the top but when I get to that page
on my PC there are only 2 tabs, "General" and "wireless networks".
So, as good as that article may be, I get thrown off right at the start.
Is there maybe an updated, idiot proof version anywhere that I can follow
step by step and picture by picture to get this network up and running.Cheers,
Steve

Kevin

Amazingly enough, there is actually good information in Windows own Help and
Support feature. Yes, I know it's quite a shock to the system, but the
information in there is really very good and well written. You can also
find this information in the Control Panel>Network and Internet
Connections>Set up or Change Your Home Network.

"Parrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I have been trying to set up a wireless, ad hoc network in my home between
> desktop PC and a laptop, both running win XP home and hoping to be able to
> access the internet on the laptop via the Broadband modem attached to the
> desktop.
> I have been using this page from Barb Bowman......
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> Unfortunately, it seems to be out of date or relating to an earlier
> version
> of XP because the references and pictures don't match what happens on my
> PC
> screens.
> For instance, she has a picture with "wireless Network connection
> Properties" and there are 4 tabs across the top but when I get to that
> page
> on my PC there are only 2 tabs, "General" and "wireless networks".
> So, as good as that article may be, I get thrown off right at the start.
> Is there maybe an updated, idiot proof version anywhere that I can follow
> step by step and picture by picture to get this network up and
> running.Cheers,
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?UGFycm90?=

Yes, My flabber was completely gasted when i noticed the help section in
windows XP.
Sadly, it wasn't a great deal of help.
Why not, Steve?
OK, I'll tell you.
Here is some of the blurb from the help pages.

For a wireless connection, do the following:
Click the wireless connection, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change
settings of this connection. On the Wireless Networks tab, click a wireless
network in the list, and then click Properties.
On the Authentication tab, make sure that the Enable IEEE 802.1x
authentication for this network check box is selected.

All well and good if you can do anything under the Authentication tab. In
my case, the whole page is greyed out and there is no way to change the tick
boxes.
Consequently, I can't get any further unless I want a connection to both of
my computers that is wide open to anyone within range.

Kevin

So, I take it that you can not run the Network Setup Wizard?