Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Switches vs HP ProCurve Switches

Cisco Switches vs HP ProCurve Switches

Greg

We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
replacements.

We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.

With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.

Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
Cisco?

If so, could you compare the +/- from switching from one vendor to
another.

Thanks

Doug McIntyre

Greg <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
>Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
>replacements.

>We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
>to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
>yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.

>With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
>crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.

>Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
>Cisco?

I use them both. Cisco has way more features than HP, so if you use
more of the advanced features, you'll probably find HP lacking a bit
more of the adanced features, and being more of just the basics of what a
managed switch should be.

But, if the feature set matches with what you are using them for, ProCurves
have been pretty dependable.

I guess I don't factor maintenance in, as I stock my own spares, and
don't need to upgrade much, so most of my stuff isn't on Smartnet.
Most of the Catalyst line is on a limited lifetime waranty though as well?

I haven't seen 50%, but yes the HPs are a bit cheaper. Ie. looking at
like the L3 managed switchs from cisco vs. the HPs. the ProCurve 2848
is $3200 at CDW vs. Cisco WS-C3560G-48TS-S at $5500. I guess thats about 40%.

alexd

Doug McIntyre wrote:

> Greg <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
>>to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
>>yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.

It's not just any old warranty either, it includes [IME] advanced hardware
replacement.

>>Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
>>Cisco?

> I use them both. Cisco has way more features than HP,

I suggest the OP takes a thorough look at his network setup to absolutely
sure that all the features he relies on are present in the equivalent HP
model, eg he may need to add on a Procurve Premium license for OSPF.

19:25:42 up 102 days, 21:37, 3 users, load average: 0.64, 0.31, 0.16
Sexy ladies, and nasty boys, all freaky freakin', to the robot noise

fred@wet.net

Greg schrieb:
> We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
> Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
> replacements.
>
> We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
> to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
> yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.
>
> With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
> crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.
>
> Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
> Cisco?

Greg

think twice, and compare the features. ProCurve have a CLI similar to
Cisco, but they take a different approach.

One stunning example is trunks:

In IOS you create a trunk, and once it's up and running you can add or
remove interfaces to and from the trunk by configuring the interface as
port channel member.

In ProCurve, you have to delete and recreate the trunk, but then you
have to configure all vlans back to the trunk (vlan , tagged trkxx).
Worst case scenario here is you need to get into the switch via that
trunk. In this case you literally chop off the branch you sit on.

Many of the show ** commands do not have a corresponding equivalent in
ProCurve.

Worst case scenario is a mixed environment. You can never be sure what
is possible where, and always bear in mind the different approach each
vendor takes.

In short: If you have more than one site, go for Cisco. A single site
can afford to run ProCurve, but NEVER plan to run a heterogeneous
environment.

Just my 4 cents

Albert

fugettaboutit

Thanks for the info, Albert. While I'm not the original poster, I've
thought about integrating ProCurve into smaller areas of my environment.
Those are indeed some glaring issues. I bought into the Juniper argument
about how much superior to Cisco they are and such. I've been somewhat
disappointed. I hate to be a all-you-can-eat Cisco buffet, but I've yet
to find a product at substantial savings that doesn't introduce some
headache that impacts production and/or doesn't end up being the benefit
as originally hoped.

Thanks for the tangible examples...if you have more, feel free to pass
along!

> Greg schrieb:
>> We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
>> Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
>> replacements.
>>
>> We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
>> to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
>> yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.
>>
>> With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
>> crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.
>>
>> Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
>> Cisco?
>>

> Greg
>
> think twice, and compare the features. ProCurve have a CLI similar to
> Cisco, but they take a different approach.
>
> One stunning example is trunks:
>
> In IOS you create a trunk, and once it's up and running you can add or
> remove interfaces to and from the trunk by configuring the interface as
> port channel member.
>
> In ProCurve, you have to delete and recreate the trunk, but then you
> have to configure all vlans back to the trunk (vlan , tagged trkxx).
> Worst case scenario here is you need to get into the switch via that
> trunk. In this case you literally chop off the branch you sit on.
>
> Many of the show ** commands do not have a corresponding equivalent in
> ProCurve.
>
> Worst case scenario is a mixed environment. You can never be sure what
> is possible where, and always bear in mind the different approach each
> vendor takes.
>
> In short: If you have more than one site, go for Cisco. A single site
> can afford to run ProCurve, but NEVER plan to run a heterogeneous
> environment.
>
> Just my 4 cents
>
> Albert

Sarcasmus Sarcasmus is offline
Junior Member

for hp vs cisco take a look here on how HP is very great on doing virtualization less and cost effective.

HP Procurve Someone Cisco 3 10-03-2008 09:35 PM
HP ProCurve and Cisco Catalyst diebugger@email.it Cisco 3 04-03-2008 09:00 PM
Buying 3COM or HP Procurve or Cisco matthieu.patou@gmail.com Cisco 9 02-14-2008 03:12 PM
Connect cat 2950SX to Procurve 3400cl teo Cisco 1 01-12-2007 08:40 AM
Cisco to HP Procurve edavid3001@gmail.com Cisco 13 05-20-2006 08:17 AM

Advertisments