Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?

wisdomkiller & pain

Bruno HRUST wrote:

First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added keyboard
and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
hours a day on a laptop.

> I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and have a lot of
> work to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three months and
> then in for a little while then out again and so on. I take my work load
> with me, wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it seems
> that my laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and hard drive than my
> desktop, cannot cope and is very often down (I have an other laptop of

"down" ... does that refer to zombified, infested, slow as molasses?
*How* do you fix it? Do you update windows, have firewall engaged, virus
scanner and malware protection?
But beware, running 2 or 3 "firewalls" or on-access virus scanners, or
a "internet security solution" together with another firewall/virus
scanner, may even reduce security as well as slowing down your system.

> similar specifications as a spare one for the very reason to be able to
> continue working until this, that I like, is fixed). Now is OK, but needs
> defragging all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the computer.

Defragging should either be done on a weekly schedule (will take a lunch
break except the first time) or every 3 months - may take a few hours then.

> I am considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think that a
> laptop (of whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there
> fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified? Please help.

Sometimes laptop harddrives don't die in an instant, they become slower and
slower (multiple tries to read a sector) long before they quit.

You may be "fixing" windows by reinstalling all the time, but miss some
driver and have the laptop run in sort of a "legacy mode" with impacts on
performance.

Whiskers

On 2009-03-16, wisdomkiller & pain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruno HRUST wrote:
>
> First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added keyboard
> and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
> hours a day on a laptop.

[...]

My own experience is that a large (17" or bigger) laptop with a genuinely
'full size' keyboard, is perfectly usable for long periods. It just needs
to be put onto a firm support with the keyboard tilted up both to raise the
screen to a better height and to make typing easier. That also helps to
overcome the heat problem, of course. In hot weather, an additional
'laptop cooler' sitting under the laptop can increase the airflow through
the machine - and in any case, you need to make sure the cooling ducts and
fans are all clean and working properly.

The table, desk, or laptop stand, should be at a comfortable height so
that you can type without strain, and your chair should allow you to sit
upright and on a firm seat.

You may need to consider spectacles to allow you to focus comfortably on
the screen at the "arm's length" distance that you'll find suits typing.
Try not to slouch, and do take frequent breaks - as you would if using a
conventional 'desktop' or 'terminal' or 'workstation' arrangement of
course.

Such a machine barely qualifies as a 'laptop'; think of it as a portable
computer. Battery life will almost certainly be pathetic, and you'll
probably want a seperate trackball or mouse or graphics tablet - and some
means of disabling the touchpad while typing (mine has a handy push-button
next to the touchpad - one of the features that led me to buy it).

I'm using an HP Pavilion zd7000 machine right now; it's my main computer.
17" 1440x900 display, 3.2 MHz P4 HT processor, 512 MB RAM. Mandriva
2008.0 Linux (with XFCe4 desktop). This machine is fine for handling text
documents, and of course email usenet and The Web; it's also perfectly
adequate for image manipulation - but probably not for movie editing. It
has been in daily use for a few years - I forget how many, but the
markings on the keys are half worn off and the parts of the casing that I
handle are polished smooth with use, and down to the bare metal or plastic
in places. It's heavy enough to make sure I don't move it unless I have
to! Definitely not a coffee-shop or commuter-train machine.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

wisdomkiller & pain

Bruno HRUST wrote:

> "wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Bruno HRUST wrote:
>>
>> First, to elaborate on the subject: no, it isn't - without a added
>> keyboard
>> and monitor to put into ergonomical position, you don't want to work 8
>> hours a day on a laptop.

> And I need to have the computer on all the time, regardless operating or
> idle. I did add a keyboard to it, but it was worse than that one on the
> laptop, and have made it environment as good as possible; but in the end
> it suffered and collapsed frequently, ending up with the blue screen
> notice.

Old laptops can make nice low-power servers with the benefit of a included
USV for free - even a worn-out accumulator will at least supply enough
power for a clean shutdown. But then, it depends. Some laptops will run hot
and have reduced lifetime.

>> But beware, running 2 or 3 "firewalls" or on-access virus scanners, or
>> a "internet security solution" together with another firewall/virus
>> scanner, may even reduce security as well as slowing down your system.

> And this is exactly what happened.

You mean, your computer was "self-sufficient" in the end?
> That was exactly what was going on for a long time: two files were missing
> and I could not reinstall them.
> Please read my previous reply to the other friend, and I would be grateful
> if you could give me some advice about building a new computer, desktop PC

That's all about knowledge or convenience and mostly experience - from
yourself or your next computer savvy friend/neighbor/admin@w0rkplace.
I must tell, I use a (2 year old) amd64x2/5600 dualcore on a msi board. Not
state-of-the-art anymore, but runs quite nice with linux here.
Actually, these days, unless you want vista bloat, you'll have a hard time
finding XP drivers for a lot of brand-new hardware. And, you won't get it
preinstalled from the vendor.
Therefore, with hardware that's not banana ware anymore, you may have a
really nice and painless linux install while digging for XP drivers makes
you grind your teeth.