Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Create newsletter. Please, need advice. Thank You

Create newsletter. Please, need advice. Thank You

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

> It's your choice if you prefer to have unreadeable text like dark-red
> on black - or dark-grey on black ...

I like black on white. Especially after a heavy night. <g>

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> dorayme wrote:

> > I like black on white. Especially after a heavy night. <g>

> My own site uses less than black on white to minimize the starkness.
> But. As attributed to Abe Lincoln, in paraphrase, "It won't please all
> of the people all of the time ..."

It is an interesting issue. So many websites use black on white and it
seems so much part of browser style defaults that maybe there is an
argument for proceeding with great care imposing our tastes on the world
outside. Maybe we should leave it to the user to decide along a similar
logic to 100% font size for body text. Let the user decide on what is
white and black in detail by setting his monitor etc... encourage
browser makers to give easier controls for this sort of thing etc.

--
dorayme

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
the lovely and talented dorayme
broadcast on alt.html:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>> dorayme wrote:

>> > I like black on white. Especially after a heavy night. <g>

>> My own site uses less than black on white to minimize the starkness.
>> But. As attributed to Abe Lincoln, in paraphrase, "It won't please all
>> of the people all of the time ..."

> It is an interesting issue. So many websites use black on white and it
> seems so much part of browser style defaults that maybe there is an
> argument for proceeding with great care imposing our tastes on the world
> outside. Maybe we should leave it to the user to decide along a similar
> logic to 100% font size for body text. Let the user decide on what is
> white and black in detail by setting his monitor etc... encourage
> browser makers to give easier controls for this sort of thing etc.

The main problem is that every GUI font sucks. VGA fonts can put 25
80-character lines on the screen that a perfectly legible whether
light-on-dark or dark-on-light. This is why lynx rules.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> (E-Mail Removed)
58 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
the lovely and talented dorayme
broadcast on alt.html:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>> dorayme wrote:

>> > I like black on white. Especially after a heavy night. <g>

>> My own site uses less than black on white to minimize the starkness.
>> But. As attributed to Abe Lincoln, in paraphrase, "It won't please all
>> of the people all of the time ..."

> It is an interesting issue. So many websites use black on white and it
> seems so much part of browser style defaults that maybe there is an
> argument for proceeding with great care imposing our tastes on the world
> outside. Maybe we should leave it to the user to decide along a similar
> logic to 100% font size for body text. Let the user decide on what is
> white and black in detail by setting his monitor etc... encourage
> browser makers to give easier controls for this sort of thing etc.

The main problem is that every GUI font sucks. VGA fonts can put 25
80-character lines on the screen that are perfectly legible whether
light-on-dark or dark-on-light. This is why lynx rules.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> (E-Mail Removed)
58 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.
Obama: No hope, no change, more of the same. Yes, he can, but no, he won't.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>> > I like black on white. Especially after a heavy night. <g>

>> My own site uses less than black on white to minimize the starkness.
>> But. As attributed to Abe Lincoln, in paraphrase, "It won't please

all
>> of the people all of the time ..."

> It is an interesting issue. So many websites use black on white and it
> seems so much part of browser style defaults that maybe there is an
> argument for proceeding with great care imposing our tastes on the

world
> outside. Maybe we should leave it to the user to decide along a

similar
> logic to 100% font size for body text. Let the user decide on what is
> white and black in detail by setting his monitor etc... encourage
> browser makers to give easier controls for this sort of thing etc.

I have the background color of my windows set at a very pale blue, seems
to be less harsh on my eyes than black on white.

What's fun is to see that pale blue shining through when an author has
neglected to specify the body background color, taking it for granted
that everyone has white.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

In article <Xns9BD44D0945FBAarbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What's fun is to see that pale blue shining through when an author has
> neglected to specify the body background color, taking it for granted
> that everyone has white.

Yes, it is informative. I have one browser set similarly (a rich yellow
as it happens) for the purpose of detecting non-settings of background
colours. Not a browser I use for browsing though.

--
dorayme