Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Download entire websites?

Download entire websites?

John Doe

Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?

I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?

Thanks.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

John Doe wrote:
> Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?
>
> I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?
>
> Thanks.

no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

Another is winhttrack: http://www.httrack.com/

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

John Doe wrote:
> Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?
>
> I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?
>
> Thanks.

no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

Another is winhttrack: http://www.httrack.com/

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Mike Jones

Responding to John Doe:

> Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?
>
> I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?
>
> Thanks.

The Swiss Army knife of webgrabbing tools = wget

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/

John Doe

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
> I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.

My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
those files.

How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
that page.

For example... from this page...
http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
....it adds "v2" to all of the links.

Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
"http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
link properties text the same?

John Doe wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
>> I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
>
> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
> those files.
>
> How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
> links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
> that page.
>
> For example... from this page...
> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
>
> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
> link properties text the same?
>
> Thanks.

I have no idea what you're talking about or how this
relates to webcopier!

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

John Doe

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> John Doe wrote:

>>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
>>> I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

>> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
>>
>> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
>> those files.
>>
>> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
>> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
>> of links on that page.
>>
>> For example... from this page...
>> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
>> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
>>
>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
>> other link properties text the same?
>>
>> Thanks.

> I have no idea what you're talking about or how this
> relates to webcopier!

You must be joking.

Mike Jones

Responding to John Doe:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one I use is
>> webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
>
> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to those
> files.
>
> How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
> links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
> that page.
>
> For example... from this page...
> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
>
> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name "http://vocola.net/"
> with the local folder name, leaving all other link properties text the
> same?
>
> Thanks.

Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

--

Mike Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Responding to John Doe:
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>
>>> John Doe wrote:

>>> no. There are many website copiers out there. The one I use is
>>> webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

>> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
>>
>> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
>> those files.
>>
>> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
>> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
>> of links on that page.
>>
>> For example... from this page...
>> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
>> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
>>
>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
>> other link properties text the same?

> Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

Yeah, I heard you the first time. But seriously... simply replacing
the domain with the local folder path in links is not rocket science.

fatsteve

John Doe wrote:
> Mike Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Responding to John Doe:

>>> So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.
>>>
>>> My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
>>> those files.
>>>
>>> How do you force it to use the original link properties for
>>> copied links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning
>>> of links on that page.
>>>
>>> For example... from this page...
>>> http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
>>> ...it adds "v2" to all of the links.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
>>> "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all
>>> other link properties text the same?

>> Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

> Yeah, I heard you the first time. But seriously... simply replacing
> the domain with the local folder path in links is not rocket science.

I used to use Teleport Ultra to download websites and it would change
the links to correspond with the local folders. Although I found it
difficult to use at times it did work once it was setup properly.

Though I haven't used the program Peter recommended, I would almost bet
that somewhere in the setup is a way to make it change the links to
the local folders, after all the one of the main points of downloading
the website is to be able to browse it locally.