Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > oddball question for catholics

oddball question for catholics

richard

what's the term used for where nuns live?
Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
building. Is there a special name for that or not?

I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
the latter is more comical than fact.

wisdomkiller & pain

richard wrote:

> what's the term used for where nuns live?
> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
> building. Is there a special name for that or not?
>
> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
> the latter is more comical than fact.

Nunneries looks like the official name for a "nun monastery"

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> what's the term used for where nuns live?
> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
> building. Is there a special name for that or not?

Cloister.

> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
> the latter is more comical than fact.

"Hie thee to a nunnery."
-Wm. Shakespeare
-(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

--
-bts

chuckcar

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:43:23 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>richard wrote:
>>
>>> what's the term used for where nuns live?
>>> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
>>> building. Is there a special name for that or not?

>>Cloister.
>>
>>> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
>>> the latter is more comical than fact.

>>"Hie thee to a nunnery."
>> -Wm. Shakespeare
>> -(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

> Google says, convent, monastery, cloister, as well as abbey.
>
> One hit was kind of interesting.
> If monks live in a monastery, do nuns live in a monkery?
> don't ask.

No, they live in a Cathedral. Bishops get *all* the perks.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Paul T. Holland

richard wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:43:23 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> what's the term used for where nuns live?
>>> Like the nuns who are teachers at a school and live in a particular
>>> building. Is there a special name for that or not?

>> Cloister.
>>
>>> I know what a convent is and have heard the term "nunnery" before but
>>> the latter is more comical than fact.

>> "Hie thee to a nunnery."
>> -Wm. Shakespeare
>> -(though in Hamlet, he actually wrote "Get thee to a nunn'ry")

> Google says, convent, monastery, cloister, as well as abbey.

and for more 'modern' orders of nuns, simply 'the residence'