Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTF is a Netbook, anyway?

Reply
Thread Tools

WTF is a Netbook, anyway?

 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009
Handy Register guide.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Je|
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:gpfr36$lke$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Handy Register guide.
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>


It's a marketing concept.

J&H.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Squiggle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009
Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Handy Register guide.
>
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>
>
>

A PDA on a power trip. Or maybe a crippled laptop.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009

"Je|<ݬ & e" <jekyll&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:gpfr36$lke$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Handy Register guide.
> >
> >

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>
>
> It's a marketing concept.


And a fashion accessory.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009

"Squiggle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49bc3031$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> > Handy Register guide.
> >
> >

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/miniature_computer_field_guide/>
>
> A PDA on a power trip. Or maybe a crippled laptop.


Actually, since many laptops are now forced to use Vista and many Netbooks
are still using XP, it's probably the laptops that are "crippled".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2009
In message <49bc4612$(E-Mail Removed)>, vitw wrote:

> The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an A5
> sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's, and
> a price tag of $700 or less.


A Palm Pre, by any chance?

 
Reply With Quote
 
oneofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2009
vitw wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:49:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Handy Register guide.
>>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...r_field_guide/

>
> The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an A5
> sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's, and
> a price tag of $700 or less.
>


A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-15-2009

"oneofus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gphmbj$ihu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> vitw wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:49:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
> >> Handy Register guide.
> >>
> >>

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03...r_field_guide/
> >
> > The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of an

A5
> > sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a cellphone's,

and
> > a price tag of $700 or less.

>
> A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?


Or perhaps the rumoured Apple iTablet / iNetbook that they've just ordered
10" screens for ... although that will have an on-screen keyboard and won't
have that price tag.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-16-2009
Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:41:07 +1300, oneofus wrote:
>
>>> The 'netbook' I'm waiting for has a colour touch-screen the size of
>>> an A5 sheet of paper, a keyboard that slides down similar to a
>>> cellphone's, and a price tag of $700 or less.
>>>
>>>

>> A bit like a Nokia 810 Tablet, but cheaper ?

>
> No - the 810 only has a 4" display. I said I want a tablet with a
> display the size of an A5 sheet of paper.


That's what "a bit like" means, that they have some features in common.
Therefore I believe the correct answer should be "Yes, although the 810 only
has...." There's no need to keep repeating what's already quoted above, that
you want a display the size of an A5 sheet of paper. (Now you've got me
doing it!)
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant add file associations in Firefox 1.0 for winXP!?!??! wtf??? Idolator#556 Firefox 2 02-05-2005 11:37 PM
New to Aironet products, wtf can cause this? steeda Cisco 0 01-28-2005 07:04 AM
WTF?? Leroy Forrester Firefox 18 09-24-2004 06:59 AM
irda/rc5...wtf? =?Utf-8?B?YWxwaGFMb2JzdGVy?= Wireless Networking 0 08-01-2004 10:55 PM



Advertisments