Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Memory stick capability

Memory stick capability

soolie

Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
it as a back up OS?
http://www.oss.org.uk

Dan C

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:26:28 +0000, soolie wrote:

> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry it
> as a back up OS?

Sure, go ahead.

Evan Platt

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:26:28 +0000, soolie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
>it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them

No. You can't install / boot XP from a memory stick. Well - yes, under
a rare set of circumstances ( if the computer can boot from the
memory stick and IF the hardware matches, yes). You can't simply take
a hard drive (or memory stick) from one computer and put it in another
and expect XP to boot. Hardware differences.

>or just carry it as a back up OS?

As a backup ? Umm.. Sure in the sense that you can use it to reinstall
XP. But that's it.

83LowRider

"soolie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
> it as a back up OS?
> http://www.oss.org.uk

I don't know if this would interest you or not, but..
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/pendriv...-from-windows/

soolie

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 01:53:16 -0400, "83LowRider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"soolie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
>> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
>> it as a back up OS?
>> http://www.oss.org.uk

>I don't know if this would interest you or not, but..
>http://www.pendrivelinux.com/pendriv...-from-windows/

That appears to be saying it could be done.

soolie

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 22:27:50 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 03:26:28 +0000, soolie <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
>>it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them

>No. You can't install / boot XP from a memory stick. Well - yes, under
>a rare set of circumstances ( if the computer can boot from the
>memory stick and IF the hardware matches, yes). You can't simply take
>a hard drive (or memory stick) from one computer and put it in another
>and expect XP to boot. Hardware differences.
>
>>or just carry it as a back up OS?

>As a backup ? Umm.. Sure in the sense that you can use it to reinstall
>XP. But that's it.

Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
and use it?

soolie

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:53:24 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>soolie wrote:
>> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
>> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
>> it as a back up OS?
>> http://www.oss.org.uk

>Unless severely hacked...
>XP cannot run from a USB memory stick...
>and even if you did manage to hack it...
>it would not run on different hardware.
>
>By all means give the Linux boot thumb drive a try

Linux bends my brain out of shape.

Evan Platt

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:38:06 +0000, soolie <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
>do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
>could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
>and use it?

No.

Windows, when it installs, installs to that specific computer, loading
drivers and such for THAT computer. You couldn't take the hard drive
out of one computer, put it in another, and expect Windows to boot
properly. It MAY, but that's the exception, not the rule.

hwf

soolie wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:53:24 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> soolie wrote:
>>> Can I carry Windows XP operating system on a 16Gb memory stick and use
>>> it on computers belonging to friends when I visit them or just carry
>>> it as a back up OS?
>>> http://www.oss.org.uk

>> Unless severely hacked...
>> XP cannot run from a USB memory stick...
>> and even if you did manage to hack it...
>> it would not run on different hardware.
>>
>> By all means give the Linux boot thumb drive a try

> Linux bends my brain out of shape.

Pft. Linux is so easy even I use it.

^_^

--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

soolie

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:34:03 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:38:06 +0000, soolie <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Well I asked the question because I didn't know the answer but now I
>>do not understand why it cannot be done? I also have an external HD so
>>could I load my OS onto that and then plug that into another computer
>>and use it?

>No.
>
>Windows, when it installs, installs to that specific computer, loading
>drivers and such for THAT computer. You couldn't take the hard drive
>out of one computer, put it in another, and expect Windows to boot
>properly. It MAY, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Thanks for that information. I learn something new everytime I post
here. Maybe one day I will understand computers