Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE7, XP, SP3 - good internet connection, but it won't connect to web

IE7, XP, SP3 - good internet connection, but it won't connect to web

don@nospam.4me

I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
Road Runner for internet.

FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
I'll use IE.

About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7. It
ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried some
common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get to them
either.

Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.

Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force IE
back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.

But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.

Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with IE7,
but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times and
opened it, no other changes, it worked.

Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web with
IE7, although I can with FF.

What's going on?

It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing, and
the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found of
anything.

John Wunderlich

don@nospam.4me wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
> Road Runner for internet.
>
> FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
> I'll use IE.
>
> About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7.
> It ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried
> some common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get
> to them either.
>
> Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.
>
> Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force
> IE back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
> customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.
>
> But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.
>
> Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with
> IE7, but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times
> and opened it, no other changes, it worked.
>
> Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web
> with IE7, although I can with FF.
>
> What's going on?
>
> It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing,
> and the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found
> of anything.

Just a guess:

In I.E. Under
Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings
are all three check boxes unchecked?

Sometimes checking "Automatically Detect Settings" can cause IE to
initially take a long time to connect while it takes time to detect
settings. Unless you use a proxy server, leaving all 3 unchecked
should improve connection speed.

HTH,
John

The Real Truth MS MVP

Try my FixIE Tool. Download it here http://www.ms-mvp.org/

your time.

<don@nospam.4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
> Road Runner for internet.
>
> FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
> I'll use IE.
>
> About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7. It
> ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried some
> common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get to them
> either.
>
> Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.
>
> Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force IE
> back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
> customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.
>
> But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.
>
> Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with IE7,
> but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times and
> opened it, no other changes, it worked.
>
> Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web with
> IE7, although I can with FF.
>
> What's going on?
>
> It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing, and
> the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found of
> anything.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

> About three weeks ago...

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB961260). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

don@nospam.4me wrote:
> I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
> Road Runner for internet.
>
> FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
> I'll use IE.
>
> About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7. It
> ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried some
> common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get to them
> either.
>
> Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.
>
> Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force IE
> back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
> customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.
>
> But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.
>
> Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with IE7,
> but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times and
> opened it, no other changes, it worked.
>
> Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web with
> IE7, although I can with FF.
>
> What's going on?
>
> It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing, and
> the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found of
> anything.

don@nospam.4me

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:20:38 -0700, John Wunderlich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>don@nospam.4me wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
>> Road Runner for internet.
>>
>> FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
>> I'll use IE.
>>
>> About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7.
>> It ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried
>> some common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get
>> to them either.
>>
>> Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.
>>
>> Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force
>> IE back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
>> customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.
>>
>> But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.
>>
>> Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with
>> IE7, but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times
>> and opened it, no other changes, it worked.
>>
>> Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web
>> with IE7, although I can with FF.
>>
>> What's going on?
>>
>> It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing,
>> and the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found
>> of anything.
>>

>Just a guess:
>
>In I.E. Under
> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings
>are all three check boxes unchecked?
>
>Sometimes checking "Automatically Detect Settings" can cause IE to
>initially take a long time to connect while it takes time to detect
>settings. Unless you use a proxy server, leaving all 3 unchecked
>should improve connection speed.
>
>HTH,
> John

All three were unchecked.

Oddly, the problem "went away" after I posted. I closed FF (which was
gobbling 330 meg from my total of 1 gig of memory), closed IE, did
some other stuff, and then IE was fine.

No other application was having problems though.

This morning, IE is working normally.

Not a major issue, as I use IE less than 5% of the time. Just
something that bugs me because it doesn't work "as expected."

VanguardLH

don@nospam.4me wrote:

> I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
> Road Runner for internet.
>
> FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
> I'll use IE.
>
> About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7. It
> ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried some
> common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get to them
> either.
>
> Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.
>
> Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force IE
> back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
> customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.
>
> But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.
>
> Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with IE7,
> but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times and
> opened it, no other changes, it worked.
>
> Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web with
> IE7, although I can with FF.
>
> What's going on?
>
> It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing, and
> the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found of
> anything.

Have you tried running IE7 in its no add-ons mode?

Have you yet scanned for malware? Many only attack IE, especially AX
and BHOs.