Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Opening Outlook Express: e-Mail Has Red "x" in Small Box. Picture There & How To Open ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Opening Outlook Express: e-Mail Has Red "x" in Small Box. Picture There & How To Open ?

 
 
Robert11
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2009
Hello,

Using Outlook Exress and XP.

Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of boxes
with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is being prevented
from opening, I would guess.

How do I get it to open up, please ?

Thanks,
B.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2009
Robert11 wrote:
Subject: Opening Outlook Express: e-Mail Has Red "x" in Small Box.
Picture There & How To Open ?

Suboptimal subject caused by starting the question message in the subject
instead of creating an optimal body first and then an optimal subject.

> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of
> boxes with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is
> being prevented from opening, I would guess.


Correct that the red X is a marker for the pic. But the cause is
'variable' -- there's more than one cause.

Sometimes it is caused by the sender screwing up and you don't have the
pic because the pic is (still, only) on the sender's drive.

> How do I get it to open up, please ?


In the above example/instance; you can't.

For other causes, you can.

Since your message body is also suboptimal (ambiguous, insufficient
information), like the subject (too long), we don't know which is causing
your personal red X since we can't troubleshoot your red X issue.

Subject: too much information
Body: missing information


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Col
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2009

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gpbqn9$s64$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Using Outlook Exress and XP.
>
> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of boxes
> with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is being
> prevented from opening, I would guess.
>
> How do I get it to open up, please ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.


Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block images and other
external content in HTML e-mail'


 
Reply With Quote
 
Whiskers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-12-2009
On 2009-03-12, Col <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gpbqn9$s64$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Using Outlook Exress and XP.
>>
>> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of boxes
>> with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is being
>> prevented from opening, I would guess.
>>
>> How do I get it to open up, please ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> B.

>
> Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block images and other
> external content in HTML e-mail'


.... and wave goodbye to any notions you might have had about privacy and
security.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
 
Reply With Quote
 
catchme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using Outlook Exress and XP.
>
> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of boxes
> with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is being prevented
> from opening, I would guess.
>
> How do I get it to open up, please ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.
>
>

if you dont have images enabled, it will either appear as generic icon,
or showing only a placeholder (red x)
also it is possible that your applications aren't configured to read
certain file types, or those installed may simply be unable to read it
at all.
Lastly, the image may also be corrupt or flagged as corrupt.
 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 2009-03-12, Col <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gpbqn9$s64$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Using Outlook Exress and XP.
>>>
>>> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a bunch of
>>> boxes with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a picture that is
>>> being prevented from opening, I would guess.
>>>
>>> How do I get it to open up, please ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> B.

>>
>> Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block images and
>> other external content in HTML e-mail'

>
> ... and wave goodbye to any notions you might have had about privacy and
> security.
>

Please. No one has *ever* become infected by opening a picture or html
alone. Can't happen.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:42:24 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Please. No one has *ever* become infected by opening a picture or html
>alone. Can't happen.


Wow.

That goes right up there with
"I am not a crook."
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9BCCF3D9A4292chucknilcar@127.0.0.1:

> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> :
>
>> On 2009-03-12, Col <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gpbqn9$s64$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> Using Outlook Exress and XP.
>>>>
>>>> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are
>>>> a bunch of boxes with a red "x" in it. Apparently there
>>>> is a picture that is being prevented from opening, I
>>>> would guess.
>>>>
>>>> How do I get it to open up, please ?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> B.
>>>
>>> Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block
>>> images and other external content in HTML e-mail'

>>
>> ... and wave goodbye to any notions you might have had
>> about privacy and security.
>>

> Please. No one has *ever* become infected by opening a
> picture or html alone. Can't happen.
>


Actually, a few years some genius with a /very/ good sense of
humor made it possible for Trojans to be hidden in jpg images -
of course that ONLY worked when the user was clueless enough to
use IE/OE, other browsers and non-MS image programs were not
affected. A fix was provided by MS shortly afterwards.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)
 
Reply With Quote
 
thanatoid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gpbqn9$s64$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> Using Outlook Exress


WHY in fubar's name would anyone do that?

> and XP.


Ditto, but slightly more understandable.
> Sometimes when i get an e-mail and open it up, there are a
> bunch of boxes with a red "x" in it. Apparently there is a
> picture that is being prevented from opening, I would
> guess.
>
> How do I get it to open up, please ?


Right click and "show" or "open" or "load" image - I don't know
the exact term since I wouldn't use IE if you paid me. If there
is no such option, get a real browser.

Also, many web pages/sites are very poorly maintained (and often
should not exist in the first place) and links to images (or
other things) just do not work. Some people just can't be
bothered to keep everything up to date, even though there are
programs to do it automatically.

You can often verify that by double clicking on the image - it
SHOULD open up in a new window. You can also copy its URL and
try a DL manager - sometimes you get better results this way,
and it's MUCH faster.

Sometimes images (etc.) are "hot-linked" to other sites which
don't like others stealing their bandwidth - that may be a
factor as well, although I don't know enough about html to tell
you for sure.


--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-13-2009
chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block images and
>>> other external content in HTML e-mail'

>>
>> ... and wave goodbye to any notions you might have had about privacy and
>> security.


>Please. No one has *ever* become infected by opening a picture or html
>alone. Can't happen.


You really should use google before posting, nothing you post is
correct.

Getting malware from a picture, google:
WMF exploit
--

20 Pictures That Give Rednecks A Bad Name
http://tinyurl.com/bsleua
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Small Square with small red X Peter Coddington Computer Support 4 01-03-2006 06:58 AM
fs: Detroit Red Wings, Red Alert - Hockeytown 3 sonof3m DVD Video 0 12-17-2004 12:59 AM
Datawrite Red (V3) Red - DVD-R's Alex B Computer Support 3 07-16-2004 12:08 AM
Red Hat Defines end of Red Hat Linux steve NZ Computing 14 11-06-2003 06:19 AM



Advertisments