Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS Property: content

CSS Property: content

Ari Heino

Bergamot kirjoitti seuraavasti:

> Ari Heino wrote:
>>
>> But if css is turned off, this wont obviously help. But again, who
>> surfs css turned off?

> FYI, I disable CSS a lot more often than should be necessary. For me,
> it's most often required to make dee-ziner sites usable, though even
> that doesn't always work.

I bet you do. That's because you a) know it's possible and b) know it
(often) helps.
I referred to "ordinary" people who don't a) know what's css, b) know it
can be disabled or c) even care.

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/

Jonathan N. Little

Bergamot wrote:

> Ari Heino wrote:
>>
>> But if css is turned off, this wont obviously help. But again, who
>> surfs css turned off?

> FYI, I disable CSS a lot more often than should be necessary. For me,
> it's most often required to make dee-ziner sites usable, though even
> that doesn't always work.

Like the dang blog I just looked at moments ago

body { font-family: verdana; font-size: 70%; }

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ari Heino wrote:
> >
> > But if css is turned off, this wont obviously help.
> > But again, who surfs css turned off?

> FYI, I disable CSS a lot more often than should be necessary. For me,
> it's most often required to make dee-ziner sites usable, though even
> that doesn't always work.

Me too.

--
dorayme

Roy A.

On 11 Mar, 22:34, Ari Heino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jukka K. Korpela kirjoitti seuraavasti:
>
> > Ari Heino wrote:
> >> if you're looking at the page css turned of,

> Did you miss that part accidentally?
>
> >> bullets AND the quotation signs together
> >> aren't pretty. I want EITHER the new symbol OR the default - not both
> >> at the same time.

> > Right, but you can (with the usual CSS caveats) achieve that by using
> > list-style-type: none

> I have this line. But if css is turned off, this wont obviously help.
> But again, who surfs css turned off? Of course, there may be someone who
> has forced the bullets on (it's possible, isn't it?), but then it'll be
> his/her headache.

You could use a few alternate stylesheets to solve that issue, e.g:

<link href="bergamot.css" title="Bergamot" rel="alternate stylesheet"
type="text/css">
<link href="dorayme.css" title="Dorayme" rel="alternate stylesheet"
type="text/css">

Jukka K. Korpela

Roy A. wrote:

> You could use a few alternate stylesheets to solve that issue, e.g:

Use alternate stylesheets (which by the way aren't supported by IE) to solve
the issue what happens when CSS is off? Yeah, right. Let me guess... your
solution to the question "what happens when JavaScript is off?" is that one
could use a few alternate branches in JavaScript code.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Roy A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 11 Mar, 22:34, Ari Heino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Jukka K. Korpela kirjoitti seuraavasti:

> > Did you miss that part accidentally?

> > > Right, but you can (with the usual CSS caveats) achieve that by using
> > > list-style-type: none

> > I have this line. But if css is turned off, this wont obviously help.
> > But again, who surfs css turned off? Of course, there may be someone who
> > has forced the bullets on (it's possible, isn't it?), but then it'll be
> > his/her headache.

> You could use a few alternate stylesheets to solve that issue, e.g:
>
> <link href="bergamot.css" title="Bergamot" rel="alternate stylesheet"
> type="text/css">
> <link href="dorayme.css" title="Dorayme" rel="alternate stylesheet"
> type="text/css">

These last would not solve one of the problems that nags at Ari - the
double bullet when all (author) CSS is off.

Given the patient's addiction to a special bullet, Dr Dorayme recommends
table html markup for a list in *this* case. And to those who say this
is too bitter a pill for anyone with any standards to swallow, I say to
them, re-examine your standards, in particular what a table element is.

<g/2>

(This is a stab at a tag for the usenet element of half grin)

--
dorayme

Bergamot

Roy A. wrote:

> You could use a few alternate stylesheets to solve that issue, e.g:
>
> <link href="bergamot.css" title="Bergamot" rel="alternate stylesheet"
> type="text/css">

Whatever the issue, I wouldn't bother with alternate stylesheets, mostly
because few people even know about them, let alone bother looking for
them. I never do. It's so much easier just to turn CSS off altogether or
invoke one of my own user stylesheets to get around some display issue.

--
Berg